The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: assembling my new sawmill  (Read 6303 times)

Online rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
Re: assembling my new sawmill
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2021, 01:41:55 AM »
Hey,

Really late to the thread, but I only joined the forum recently.  I have a 2021 Woodland Mills HM130Max w/ track extension in a shed.  I also added the lap siding upgrade and the toe board.  I would make a recommendation on the lube system for the blade.  Folks have complained about the needle valve at the tank getting clogged with sawdust, dirt etc.  I had my own travails as I couldn't get the flow rate I wanted.  So I leave the valve wide open and pinch the line between the distribution block at the motor and the nozzle with an adjustable line clamp.  Other folks have used a ball valve.  I think I will be purchasing a tach for my mill too.  

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2021, 06:14:08 AM »
Glad to hear you are sawing!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
Folks have complained about the needle valve at the tank getting clogged with sawdust, dirt etc

My problem always seem to be at the zerk fitting at the blade guide, although I have taken the whole system apart once already to clean out everything at only 10 hrs run time..  I started running without the zerk and it seems to help.
HM126

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
My tach came 3 days ago. Too busy with my slab project to install it now, maybe in a week or 2.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline Waspu

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2022, 09:18:01 AM »
Hi, how long in total does it take to assemble the 130 max 

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
@Waspu

Welcome to the FF.

I'll give you my 2 cents...it depends.  Its a pretty open-ended question.  Some people may work every day on it and still need a week.

The more mechanically inclined and familiar with tools you are, the quicker it can go.

You can do it in a long day alone or in a shorter day with 2 people if you have all the tools, you have already uncrated and taken inventory of everything, follow the instructions carefully (preferably already read them ahead of time), have a flat, dry open space to work, and skip lunch.
HM126

Online rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2022, 08:28:39 PM »
You can do it in a day, but its a lot of work.  I did mine over several days as it was hot as hades and I was melting as bad as the wicked witch of the west.  You want to use a battery hammer drill with socket adapters to help assembly as there are a ton of nylon lock nuts that will wear you out if you are hand tightening things.  You do need a big tractor or someone to help put the saw head on the rails.  Its not only heavy, but pretty unwieldly too.

Check the tool list. The bolts for the wheels are pretty big.  A lot of the bolts are larger than what you get in a metric tool set. 19mm and bigger. A quality crescent wrench set will also help.  

If it will be not be mobile, take a good amount of time building the mill supports.  The more solid and level your supports, the easier it will be to dial in the setup and it will not move much after that.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »
Hi, how long in total does it take to assemble the 130 max
Mine took about 7 weeks, but that was a few minutes here and a few there. In reality I think it took about 12 hrs if un-interrupted. The time included help for about 1 hr on day 1. It was assembled about 30' outside my crowded shop, on uneven ground. If you have space in a shop, with a flat floor and an organized workbench, likely 8-9 hrs. I'm neither organized nor neat, and at my age it won't likely get better.
For things like standing the sawhead up and then lifting it onto the track I had to get a way set up to lift it alone using my mini excavator, using straps, chains and ropes to control any alignment issues from the seat of the excavator. That likely took an hour, but if help had been present likely 3-4 minutes.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2022, 08:17:45 PM »
I guess mine took a lot more than 7 weeks, closer to 6 months and counting. While it's true I used the sawmill way back when, I just added the tongue, rear bumper and lights the last 2 days. I still need to add the clamps that hold the wiring harness, but I think that's it. Maybe tomorrow, weather and other obligations depending. 
Since I have surgery this Friday, and I'll be in prep mode Thursday, my other to do need is, if I get more Amber Syrup I'll need to bottle some before surgery. After surgery I'll be on "no lifting" orders for 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, once I can get to watch my brother, he will be sawing some hemlock. He has logs from just 2 trees, and will be sawing some lumber to build some raised beds for growing vegetables in. By the way, he helped me on the final assembly. He helps me when I need it and vice versa, but he also has a SIL who helps whenever he needs, but only on weekends, during the week his SIL works long hours.
Once my back to work OK is given by my surgeon (and I'll bet my wife will also voice an opinion) I'll be felling hemlocks and start sawing for a sawmill shed (open pavilion type) and after that I'll saw an addition to my shop. Fairly certain I'll add a 14x36' addition, but it might be a 16x36'. That decision will need to be decided by the time I start sawing the rafters. I can fit 16' wide, but it would be a little tight because I want a roadway between the addition and the sawmill pavilion. If I don't put a roadway there, into my woods out back, I'll need to make a new roadway in which would be far less convenient, it would then route out past my solar array, and across a wet spot, necessitating a few loads of gravel and a culvert. I haven't yet decided if I want to go thru between the addition and the sawmill pavilion or out and around the solar.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2022, 09:35:44 PM »
I can fit 16' wide, but it would be a little tight because I want a roadway between the addition and the sawmill pavilion.
Can't move the sawmill further out?  What's your minimum for the roadway you want?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Assembling the HM 130 Max sawmill - tolerances

Started by Rene S on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2022, 08:34:13 PM
by Rene S
xx
Started assembling a new to me lane sawmill

Started by Ventryjr on Sawmills and Milling

52 Replies
Last post October 15, 2021, 08:55:26 AM
by moodnacreek