iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaving bents up over the winter

Started by trouts2, September 26, 2018, 08:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trouts2

My small 8 x 10 shed, is going along at a fairly slow pace and cold weather closing in.  I can probably gets 2 bents up with plates.  Those will be on sills covered with a floor.   At about that point I'll have to stop working here, Maine, and return to Mass.    
   I could either take the plates and bents down and wrap them in a tarp and cover the floor for the winter or leave them up with a floor cover and probably cover the post to plate joints.  I'd like to leave what is there up for the winter but wondered it there are reasons for not doing that.  So the question is are there any negatives to securing it as it and leaving it until spring?   The spruce post and plates except for the joints would be exposed.

Weekend_Sawyer

I am watching with interest.
I would worry about snow getting around the posts and as it melts saturate the area on the deck around the posts. And will the bent start to turn grey.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Revival Sawmill

How dry is your wood?  Do you need to worry about deformation that would be prevented/mitigated by leaving bents assembled? 

trouts2

Weekend_Sawyer:   I think I can cover the deck well and the posts up about a foot or two such that water will not get on the lower portions of the posts and none on the deck by the posts.   The tops of the posts where they meet the plates will be wrapped.  Most of the top plate will be exposed.  I should wrap the joints where the gable end tie beams also.  I forgot about those.  Give that I could wrap the from the joint at the plate and the full post including the tie/post joint.   I have several tarps from the local builder supply place they give away.  They are the coverings for shipments of lumber and rugged, something like Tyvek.
Forgot that they will grey but not a big deal as most of the beams used were from last year and greyed.  

RivivalSawmill:  "Do you need to worry about deformation that would be prevented/mitigated by leaving bents assembled?"
  No or not sure.  I don't the the wet guys will distort.   There are only a couple of wet beams.  The beams I cut last year looked fine this year.  All the beams are from tree centers.  

Thank You Sponsors!