iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Autoclutch problem

Started by Peakebrook, February 09, 2009, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peakebrook

Has anyone had any problem with the shaft that connects the pulley to the gear box assembly?

I have an LT40SH with a Cat 51 motor.  The pulley shaft is badly worn causing the pulley assembly to wobble.  This was evident by a delay in the motor engaging.

I have a little over 400 hours on this mill.  The fix is $215 to replace the entire gearbox assembly, since this is not a Wood-mizer part.  Anyone else had this type of problem?
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Bibbyman

Got about 4,000 hours on our LT40 Super with AutoClutch and not had that problem.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

backwoods sawyer

When I got my mill the auto clutch had been disassembled and the parts were missing. They had the motor running against the governor 100% of the time. Therefore it was a high priority on the long list of maintenance needs. What you are describing sounds like it could be a simple adjustment. The pulley wobbles so do not worry about if the cable is not coming off, it is the way they come. If it bothers you, replace the pulley and the pin. (It will still wobble) the adjustment is made at the throttle end of the cable. A simple way to tell if it needs adjusted is to engage the auto clutch and then put pressure on the cable to see it the motor revs higher. If it dose take the slack out, There should be only slight pressure on the spring when fully engaged and when disengaged the motor should idle with just a bit of slack in the cable. Be careful not to bump the solenoid with the cable, as you will be dead in the water until a new cable arrives. I moved the solenoid to the side of the motor after doing that once. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

I installed an autoclutch after I'd had the mill for 6 months. I've put more than 1000 hours on it since with no problem, however ...

When I installed it, I tried turning the belt by hand, just to see if it was tight. After 1/4 turn I met a lot of resistance -- it would turn, but not easily. On closer inspection I discovered that the set screw on the motor pulley (it sits in the bottom of the groove) was 1/8" too long. Even when it was tightened to the shaft, it stuck up just high enough to lift the belt.

It was an easy fix (shorter set screw), but if I hadn't noticed it I would have (A) shredded the bottom of the belt, and (B) eventually damaged the pulley and/or shaft.

I often wonder if any autoclutches were factory installed with that problem.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

MartyParsons

Peakebrook send me an e-mail.
Some of these units came from the assembly with the belt to tight. I have seen the shaft come out it is a pressed fit. Make sure the belt is on the loose side, it does not take much to turn the gear box.
I am not sure what you are talking about not a WM part.
Gear box part # 036764 $ 209.70
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Peakebrook

Marty

The square pin that locks the shaft in place is missing.  I assume it broke and the shaft spun within the housing, wearing the shaft significantly.

My issue was not be able to simply get the shaft to repair the problem.  The entire gear box needs to be replaced. 
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

MartyParsons

Is this the shaft with the pulley or the shaft with the cam?
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sparks

Peakebrook, has this been handled? You should not have to pay for the gearbox with 400 hours on it. If nothing has been done yet call me at 1-800-525-8100 and I'll get it handled.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!