iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BC Faller training program and forestry equipment operator training.

Started by PJ De Ryck, December 09, 2016, 01:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ De Ryck

Good day to you all.

I'm new to the forum and I would like to introduce myself a little bit so you guys can get to know me better.
I'm Pieterjan, 28 years old and live in Belgium.
5 years ago I took courses in arboriculture and became an arborist. I love my job, but the passion for real forestry has grown each year and I've come to a point where I would like to take the step of becoming a (certified) faller and get away from the city. As there is almost no forestry in Belgium, and I've always been impressed by nature and forestry in the US and Canada I would like to make a career over there.
I haven't got any kids, am not married, and am not tied to anything so I can move anywhere at anytime I want.
Here come the questions:

- What do you guys think of the new faller training program from the BC Forest safety council?
I know it's pricey but I would like to invest in 'education' for myself and make it a sign for a possible employer too that I'm serious and dedicated about this job.

- Are there enough job opportunities for new fallers? (In British Columbia or in other provinces of Canada?)

-What about Forestry equipment operators? - Job possibilities?

-Have you guys got any other suggestions?

I like to hear your opinions!
PJ

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to hang out. Job prospects for hand fallers in B.C. are not good at the moment, they are pretty much limited to select cuts and helicopter operations in steep country where harvesters cannot go. It is also not year round work, the forests are virtually shut down from March to November depending on the weather.
The industry is also waiting for the next round in the U.S./Canada softwood lumber trade agreement, there is no telling how that might go with the new administration. You are contemplating a major change, do as much homework as possible and good luck with whatever you choose.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PJ De Ryck

Thanks for the answer sawguy21.
You say job prospects for hand fallers are not good at the moment, but what about heavy equipment operators? Say fellerbuncher, forwarder... Do you think that would be an interesting choice?
I've looked up some training companies like O'Brien training or college of New Caledonia and they seem to offer quite a total package?
I would like to hear your opinion!

PJ

sawguy21

Funny you should mention College of New Caledonia, I took small engine repair there in 1973-74. The programs are very good. Often potential employers will come to the schools at the end of the first semester of the heavy equipment courses looking to hire trainees, it is a good way to get your foot in the door.

OntarioAl

sawguy21  -  March to November?? I always thought it was the other way round shut down by snow.

PJ De Ryck - Take the college training, In Ontario all the positions including felling timber are considered trades and require training and a period of apprenticeship working for an employer before you can be certified and registered.
BC has the most exacting regulations with regards to felling timber and rightly so. A professional feller from Ontario can with the at least 2 years continuous employment felling timber challenge the BC exam if they pass the can be certified if they fail they have to take the full BC training.
Al
Al Raman

sawguy21

Winter is the peak season here, the roads and landings are frozen so the crews can move the wood. By the time the spring mud dries we are into fire season.

PJ De Ryck

Sawguy 21 - You say that at the end of the first semester potential employers come to the schools. But the courses (College of New Caledonia - Heavy equipment operator training program – feller buncher , danglehead processor,...) I find are mostly 6 to 8 weeks long?

Is training for feller buncher and danglehead processor sufficient or is training for other machines needed too?

If your or anyone else on the forum has information about good training facilities I would like to hear it. Some I found on the internet, which I thought look pretty decent:
O'Brien Training – Prince George, BC
Interior logging association – Vernon, BC
College of New Caledonia – Quesnel, BC

OntarioAl – I will take the college training. (Faller training as well as heavy equipment) I like to be well prepared.

PJ

sawguy21

The initial session is long, there is a LOT to learn before stepping on a machine. They introduce the students to a variety of heavy equipment so they can get a taste and find their own preferences. I believe they have three shorter annual sessions during the four year apprenticeship program.
The Interior Logging Association is an umbrella group for the forest industry, they don't run their own training facilities.

Thank You Sponsors!