iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Machine

Started by timberking, September 10, 2015, 04:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberking

Stopped in for some mix oil in one of our local establishments and first thing through the door is a new Stihl 88 for sale.  I guess they might sell it to a tree service but nothing big enough to merit it in the log woods around much less anyone who could run it.  Cutters are a thing of the past here.  I will admit it stirred some primitive feelings.  $1899 plus tax.

Texas-Jim

I have never sold one in my store nor do i even stock one, worked on a few. Theres a small mom and pop store 25 miles to south and he sells one every year. I live in East Texas and unless its just for bragging rights I see no tree that you would ever need that saw for. I'm getting older and not really wanting to lug a 23 pound power head, not sure what bar and chain would be.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

sawguy21

There is not a lot of call here anymore. Still some big stuff being hand felled on Vancouver Island and mainland coast for helicopter operations but it's pretty much a thing of the past. I worked for an Oregon distributor, we didn't sell a dozen rolls of .404 a year except for the .080 harvester chain. Somebody with a chainsaw mill mill might pony up for it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Mountaineer

There is nothing here that validates that kind of saw either.  and, there are no real timber cutters coming into service either.  There are still some good ones but, they are getting age on them.  No one standing in line to be a logger either.  What is the wood industry to do once these men have run their course?  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Al_Smith

In my shed reside two McCulloch Sp 125's,one Homelite 2100S and one 084 Stihl.I might have used them once other than at GTG;s in the last 5-8 years .

IndyIan

I guess a tree service guy could use one every once in a while.  I had a tree service guy come take down a couple big fence line ash trees.  He had a 066 with a 42" bar and with the bar buried, it wasn't really over powered!  I see a lot of tree service yards here making firewood and there are always some big 3-4' chunks.  It may seem like a PTIA to deal with them, but you also get 3-400lbs of wood per round.

clww

I use an 084 (I have two) usually at least three times each year at work on the really big oaks that we remove. I haven't milled any trees with my 090 in over three years. I'm holding onto all three of them, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

crazy4saws

A local logger once told me a story of a fellow woods man who only ran 084 or 090. He would say those saws were the only saws a real man should run. Eventually my buddy looked at this guy and said well you would think after lugging all that extra weight around all day that a real man, such as yourself would have real men arms now wouldn't ya!

Sorry if the story isnt as funny as I thought it was when I heard it. I tend to butcher good stories. Anyways back to the topic. Maybe for milling these saws have a place so I aggree that for the most part a 084/088/880 inst a practicable saw for a full time feller making his living everyday in the woods.......however for those of us who like those big saws they are really fun toys.

I have an 084av and it was a strong runner till the clutch side bearing went out. Here are some pic of the last time I had it out before the breakdown. Its a 48" hardnose stihl bar 

I handed it over to Dad half way though cutting as he is ten time the small engine mechanic than I am. It was acting up and losing power, soon afterwards we shut it down. Later we found the bearing problem. 

Not often do we run into logs that will load up that 48" bar but when we do I have to get this saw out. It so much fun to run but indeed heavy. 

Here is the 056magII that goes along for the big cuts. 

Just my two cents

HolmenTree

Very nice saws and photos. Thanks for posting. 8)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

I always wanted a 056Mag11

crazy4saws

Thanks Holmen Tree, Yes the 056magII are powerful saws. Mine came to me as a basketcase. Needed a new piston and some others parts. Found what I needed out west and its been running ever since. its tough to get one anymore plus parts are becoming harder to get. My only complaint is the air filter. I have two mesh types and both allow very fine particles through which collect inside the filter. Im going to try some air filter oil next time or possibly cut some foam filter material to fit inside the filter.

Hope you find one someday, you will enjoy running.

HolmenTree

If you're looking for parts for your 056 call  Madsens in Centralia, Washington. Talk to owner Sam himself . He probably  sold more 056s then any other dealer in the world. They did really strong woods porting on them too.
My next trip out their way I'm definitely going shopping for one.

Thank You Sponsors!