iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 668C winch

Started by Clark668C, June 10, 2017, 10:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

Quote from: MCLOGGING on June 21, 2017, 07:26:55 PM
If your still having problems with the winch ive worked on many clarks here in maine and on a slipping winch pulling in I always check pressures on the right side of winch where the adjustable free spool knob is located usually under that there is a 1/4npt plug test port on the pressure line that comes from the trans control valve. Should be 240-280psi if pressure is good and fluid is clean (dexron auto tranny fluid) than input clutch pack needs overhaul. Parts are readily available on minnpar.com I can give you part numbers for clutch disks and all seals if it comes down to that. Good luck!
welcome and feel free to stick around.

Clark668C

Quote from: MCLOGGING on June 21, 2017, 07:26:55 PM
If your still having problems with the winch ive worked on many clarks here in maine and on a slipping winch pulling in I always check pressures on the right side of winch where the adjustable free spool knob is located usually under that there is a 1/4npt plug test port on the pressure line that comes from the trans control valve. Should be 240-280psi if pressure is good and fluid is clean (dexron auto tranny fluid) than input clutch pack needs overhaul. Parts are readily available on minnpar.com I can give you part numbers for clutch disks and all seals if it comes down to that. Good luck!
Thanks, I just ran my machine to the shop yesterday it was 65 kilometers out of town so it took me all day. While I was on the road I stopped several times to check the temperature of the casing around the front of the winch as it seemed warm when I warmed up the machine before starting my journey. The casing was hot to touch around the ID tag on the front of the winch as well as the control valve inside the cab? The day before yesterday I was having trouble getting it to freespool and when I tried to get slack off the winch yesterday it was back to normal and easy to pull line? I will be working on it today checking the pressure and going over all the lines and changing anything that looks worn. all the U joints in the driveline and the winch have been diligently greased and are tight , my tranny fluid looks new with no signs of water or any other contaminants. Earlier this year I put a new used midmount in my machine and the mechanic put 80 weight gear oil in it instead of tranny fluid which I discovered a month ago when I drained it. I put new tranny fluid back in it and have been wondering if this could cause any issues with my system having that gear oil in there for a couple months. My brakes are real hard to bleed and always feel spongy.Would any of these factors lead me to the troubles i'm having with the winch? Thanks for your help MC and Treeslayer :)

treeslayer2003

MCLOGGING

I'm assuming that by midmount you are talking about the brake box? That shouldnt have had any effect on the winch if thats the case. Back to your winch I forgot to add if all your pressures are good and before you decide to pull the winch input clutch pack first remove your winch control valve in the cab I have seen also several times but rare that there is a spring on the back of the spool valve and it can break but still operate but it allows oil to bypass constantly and create heat, strange winch problems ranging from excess heat winch creeping in by its self and also cause the engine to lug. Hopefully you can pin point the problem, the clark trans and winch are a Cadillac in my opinion!

Clark668C

Yes MC, the midmount was installed on only a limited amount of skidders back when they were built. I finally had time to go over the machine and what I found was the breather on the winch had backed off and was finger tight allowing air both ways(in & out) and caused the system to over heat. I simply pulled it off cleaned it and reinstalled and now its not heating up. I ran a few trial pulls with it and its back to normal operating temps. I also changed my tranny filter and fluids changed a couple worn lines and fittings and added a new tranny temp gauge. The tranny filter I changed that's under the air filter assembly was in rough shape like it was used for a anvil lol . I cleaned a lot of dirty grime out of the filter casing. Thanks for the help

Thank You Sponsors!