iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank you and Farewell Hoopty!

Started by Jeff, January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Maybe his Tacoma passed the frame inspection by Toyota, or was older than 15 years.

Toyota to buy back rusted Tacomas - Reuters

Mine actually failed sticker inspection as rust had perforated completely through the frame, which I had the inspection done (by Toyota) before fixing my brakes.

It took them a month to process the paper work for the buyback, and it was shredded within 12h of them buying it.   It was crazy as it was the same time as cash for clunkers, so a lot of junk cars were on the lot.   Toyota didn't just seize the motor (like $forClunk) but destroyed every bit of the vehicle for risk that parts with the vin# would show up in another truck.   Too bad because it ran like a top, and had almost new tires.

During the month of processing, since I didn't have a sticker and brakes were failing, Toyota gave me a rental 2009 F150 super crew, just about brand new.   After driving the Ford for a month, it kinda grew on me.

After they gave me a check for $10,500 and I gave them the title; I am standing in the Toyota dealership with no ride, but couldn't get a sales person to give me any time.   I looked at the Tundra, but they wouldn't budge from the sticker price, so I walk across to the Ford dealer; who gave me a fantastic deal on a brand new 09 F150 Super Crew, since they were having trouble moving the full size trucks due to 'cash for clunkers' and economy sucked at the time.   Lots of factory incentives, and 2010 models were starting to come out, so dealer wanted it gone.
+I had big cash down payment mustache-smiley, with no trade-in to muddy the deal.

Now my 10 year old Ford has body rot :(, so I need to get some bondo to get few more years..

JJ

Ljohnsaw

As about everyone knows/assumes, vehicles out here last forever without road salt.  I was thinking back of my first car I bought in N.Y.  It was a 1967 Delmont 88 with a 425.  Got it for $200 or so.  I thought a pretty good deal.  The lower end of the rear quarter panels were all rusted/gone along with the tops of the rear wheel wells, but the engine ran great and it was FAST.  That was in 1977 - it was only 10 years old and looked like, well, bad.  About 4 gallons of bondo and 10 cans of spray paint and it was good to go. ;) :D

My Tundra is coming up on 15 years old, 165,00 miles and is in great shape (except for all the dents from working in the woods).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Dad had a Ranger new from 2006. It was rusting out by 2009 and Ford paid to have it redone. The vehicle never had more than 24,000 km, not miles. My brother sold it this year for $8,000 and it had signs of the rusties coming back but still had less than 50,000 on it. I can't ride in those at all, the steering and suspension is way too stiff.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!