iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elderberry farming, the next big thing?

Started by chain, September 07, 2011, 05:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Just received a farm publication headlining this month a 'new' crop to propagate worth possibly thousands of dollars per acre! Is this the next 'worm ranch,' get rich scheme?

All seriousness, a few farmers and ranchers in  Missouri are cultivating elderberry claiming the health benefits and several products made from elderberries, i.e., wines, jellies; additives for health benefits may have values over  $1.00 @lb.! Production per acre could easily reach 4tons per acre :o

My elderberries are in a hedge-row just outside my window and can testify the birds have free-for-alls over the berries nearly each day and keep the ripening berries picked clean. This will be a big problem for those growing the berries commercially.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kansas

There was a Kansas winery just a few miles from me that got in all sorts of trouble claiming health benefits. The feds went in and seized elderberry juice concentrate. Don't know if that was used to make wine or if they packaged it that way. Think they finally got it settled a few days ago and to relabel the product.

SwampDonkey

They and others are making claims it's an immune booster, which if it's just a claim and not USDA approved as medicine or a drug they can take action. There is one brand of juice up here with elderberry and it's called Immuniforce by Oasis out of Quebec. I suspect something along those lines happened.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberies...youuuuu...steenking eengeesh peeg dog!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

chain

Quote from: zopi on September 07, 2011, 10:54:17 PM
Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberies...youuuuu...steenking eengeesh peeg dog!

You must be sampling the E-berry wine, no? :)

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!