iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

not ERC

Started by xlogger, January 18, 2020, 04:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I pick up this log and the second cut a couple months ago. I knew by the bark it was not ERC and it look like Leyland Cypress bark with very little knots. But the red center threw me off. It has fast growth rings. When I cut the log into 6 ft lengths only white chips came out and the inside showed no red at all. Maybe it will darken when air hits it later. I'm guessing Leyland Cypress but not sure.

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart but a couple more might be's, atlantic white cedar and northern white cedar.

moodnacreek

That there looks like dawn redwood. When sawn the heart will be lite red but will darken and the wood will be very soft, softer than A. white cedar or any eastern cedars. If any twigs are still on the will turn brown like they do in winter. I think this dawn redwood is similar to cypress.

xlogger

I saw up the log yesterday into 2" slabs, as air hits the center of the log it slowly gets red. I've saw Leyland Cypress before and its not done that with me. Not sure how anyone will like it when I get it dried and don't know if you sand it will it go back white again. Anyone have an idea on what scale on my Delmhorst meter I should use?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

doc henderson

I guess you could oven dry it and figure the spec. gravity/density.  may help with species and to set your meter.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

xlogger

I'm still puzzled over this logs. They are nice size with not many knots. One guy came by that somewhat of a woodman and said he thinks they are just cypress logs. Will Leyland Cypress turn red when milled? I've saw a few and they didn't turn red.

WDH

No.  Leyland cypress does not turn red.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Bald Cypress will sometime display redish heartwood.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

xlogger

those look like what I've got only a little more red

Magicman

That may depend upon the tree/log.

I am not saying Bald Cypress, just giving a couple of examples.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!