iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free fallen tree what is it?

Started by VooDooChikin04, May 11, 2020, 02:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDooChikin04

I only have these two cell phone pictures as this tree fell at one of my cousins rental properties. I need to decide soon if I want it or itll get cut up.  Any one immediately tell what it is?  I initially felt like ash.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VooDooChikin04

Jeff, thanks for the help!  I was able to get a couple pictures of the leaves.  The buds do alternate like the basswood but the vanes don't meet on the spine like the pics of basswood leaves, unsure if that matters, maybe it doesn't?   Here are two more pics.   Is this tree worth getting and milling?

btulloh

Personally I would just let that log be firewood unless you're really desperate for ugly logs with high potential for metal strikes.
HM126

VooDooChikin04

Haha, well shoot. I said I'd take it so he left it behind.  I'm guessing you avoid residential trees?

btulloh

Doesn't hurt to saw a log like that if you've got some extra time. You might find something interesting in it, or maybe you find out which ones to leave behind. Sounds like you're committed, so might as well. Whatcha got for loading and hauling?
HM126

VooDooChikin04

I have my 16 foot tandem axle trailer which I need to mount my new 12K Lb winch to it yet.  And I have access to an all metal 14ft tandem axle trailer with a smaller winch.   Ill talk to him tomorrow and try to get out of taking it. 

btulloh

Not trying to discourage you, but sometimes it's about choices.  Sounds like you've got the hauling part covered, but that thing will be hard to load without an arch on your trailer.  Won't parbuckle without a lot of finagling either.  That'll make a wrestling contest trying to pull it up a ramp with the winch.  

Then again, maybe it's a "Highly Valuable American Linden" and it's worth the effort.  I don't know anything about that species personally.  First time I heard the name.  Maybe somebody else will speak up about the desirability of an American Linden log with high probability of metal.

Seems like you've got a lot irons in the fire.  Maybe the fire is the best destination for that log.  But that's just my opinion.  

HM126

Walnut Beast

Quote from: btulloh on May 11, 2020, 09:49:10 PM
Not trying to discourage you, but sometimes it's about choices.  Sounds like you've got the hauling part covered, but that thing will be hard to load without an arch on your trailer.  Won't parbuckle without a lot of finagling either.  That'll make a wrestling contest trying to pull it up a ramp with the winch.  

Then again, maybe it's a "Highly Valuable American Linden" and it's worth the effort.  I don't know anything about that species personally.  First time I heard the name.  Maybe somebody else will speak up about the desirability of an American Linden log with high probability of metal.

Seems like you've got a lot irons in the fire.  Maybe the fire is the best destination for that log.  But that's just my opinion.  
This was from YellowHammer in a previous post. We saw and sell basswood in thicknesses from 1 to 3 inches, as well as 3x3 table legs.  It looks a lot like maple, but a lot lighter and easier to cut and carve. Knots are a no-go so take care sawing and try to put them in the corners of the cant to saw them out after a few boards.  It will sticker stain so put fans on the wood.  It's a great wood to cut with a sawmill.  

VooDooChikin04

Man I get a good laugh from your posts @btulloh 

Youre correct, choices have been made to not take the log. If it was any other moderately desirable wood I would take it.   Glad I checked on it with you guys.

Only irons in the fire are the sawmill really.  Waiting on my metal cutting blades to arrive.

thanks walnut beast for digging that info up!

Nebraska

I know it as Basswood, I sawed a not so pretty log like that for some carving blanks for a friend, who wanted some, it came from his yard. He gave me a couple trailer loads of elm and ash logs from a shelter belt restoration project, so I came out ok on the deal.

VooDooChikin04

This one fell during a storm on saturday night, the entire base of the trunk was hollow from ants.  Which led me to recognize that a large tree next to my house is also basswood, and is becoming hollow at the bottom by ants. There is a sidewalk poured around this tree and it supplies ample shade to the home, but dang its scary seeing that void in the middle. It really should be taken down.

Thank You Sponsors!