iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are these?

Started by crmorse, July 15, 2020, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crmorse

I did some cruising today on what will be my next phase of the garden. Most everything there is tiny stuff and privet. There’s a few decent maples in there but just about anything over 12” DBH is Poplar or Sweetgum.

I did run across these that I can’t identify:

Tree 1: I got nothing...

Tree 2: Leaves look like maple family to me but the bark doesn't.

Tree 3: Deep blocky bark pennate (looks like alternate) leaves 

Tree 4: This one has sharp narrow leaves unlike anything I've seen around here. (NE Alabama) 

firefighter ontheside

3 looks like the bark of persimmon.

Probably need better close ups of leaves for others.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Can't tell much about #1.  #2 is red maple.  FFOTS is right about #3 being persimmon (that is a very nice one!).  Hard to tell for sure but #4 looks like ash.  Need close up pic of leaves and bark.  Do same for #1 too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GullyBog

#1 may be red cedar, Juniperus virginiana, my favorite tree.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

WV Sawmiller

I can't see #1 being cedar with leaves instead of needles so unless that tree is wrapped up in vines it looks like a hardwood to me. Sorry Gully.  :( You can put your bib away and quit drooling. :D Better luck next time. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

crmorse

So it turns out I screwed up the pictures (dump iPhone and it's crooked pics) and trees 1 & 2 are the same one.  Identified here as Red Maple.

#3 is definitely Persimmon. After the ident here I looked up details and now I'm seeing them all over the property (yay!) and one nice one is dropping fruit by the road.  

#4 I will get a close up of the leaves as soon as I can. Probably fly the drone for that one.... Fun!

Thanks ya'll! 

Side Question 1: How can I tell the difference between Red Maple and Silver Maple?

Side Question 2: Is sweetgum actually worth sawing up for anything? Most of my land was clearcut before I bought it so not a lot of big trees around. However, I've got plenty of Yellow Pine, Poplar, and Sweetgum.  I already know I have no use for sawing up the first two but no idea about Sweetgum.

Southside

Gum with good heart is beautiful. Quarter sawn it behaves fairly well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Flatsawn sweetgum will twist and warp very badly.  Like Mr. Backside said, quartersaw it.

Silver maple is 5-lobed with a long terminal lobe.  The margins on the leaf between the lobes are toothed.  The margins between the lobes of red maple are also toothed, but the the leaf is almost always 3-lobed and the terminal lobe is short and shallow.  Sugar maple leaves are also 5-lobed, but the margins of the leaf between the lobes are entire (not toothed). 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

crmorse

Closeup of leaves of #4.  Pennate opposite. Smooth bark with mottle. If it weren't for the different leaves I'd think it was a maple

Unless whatever this is is typically a very late bloomer I think it's distressed. It didn't have the first leaf out yet in spring when everything else was already fully clothed. I was going to cut it down but got busy with the garden and by then it had leafed out. But if it's sick, I'll go ahead and pull it this winter.

Thank You Sponsors!