The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Simply pinnate.  (Read 6447 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Simply pinnate.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 10:23:19 AM »
I'm puttin' all of my money on pecan.

DL,  you got the family right ;D

This would all have been much easier if the photographer had taken a pic of the tag right from the start :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »
That's definitely not a black walnut.  Are the leaflets serrated?  If not, then it's an English walnut.  And if they are serrated, then I maintain that it's a pecan ;D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 01:57:28 PM »
Tom has had some good fun with the pics I sent him yesterday ;D

Heres the story of how my lawn got that bear patch.

On Friday morning on the way to work,I saw a small Brown Cub laying dead on the side of the logging road and the mother,a small Black Bear was on the other side of the road wanting to stay near her Cub but away from our truck.
Saturday night at bedtime I was snuggling with my two youngest girls and was telling them about the little Cub and how bad I felt for the Mama Bear.
Lucy,6 years old,asked me if people ever shoot Bears in the eye. I was taken aback by the strange question and answered her that I didn't think that would be a shot somebody would pick but it would certainly kill them without suffering.
Sunday morning I was sick as a Dog and opted to stay home from Church and soak in a hot bath because I had the chills.Carla and the girls left and not long afterward I heard a noise on the porch.I stood up and looked out the window and saw a Bear directly below me.I yelled loudly and he didn't even flinch,
I grabbed the 12 gauge and went down stairs and banged on the window on the back door.The Bear actually came up the porch stairs to the window.I stepped back a little and considered driving him right through the window because he was so arrogant.
When he did go down the stairs I opened the door and he came back around so I put the bead on him and pulled the trigger but the safety was on.I regrouped inside the door and went back out where he was just below the porch and when he stood up I shot and he went down fast.

I unloaded and then called the CO and then went back out and rolled him over and realised he was nailed right through the left eye at about 12 feet.

We have Bears here daily when the Cherries and Apples are ripe but this one had broke into our roothouse the week before and was up on our porch with no fear or respect at 11:00 am this day.When I saw how he came toward the door when I banged on it I shudder to think what would have happened if our 5 or 6 year olds would have happened to open the door to go outside and play. :-\

We're wondering if he wasn't a relocated problem Bear ::)
eg  tregar  meste  p  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 02:22:15 PM »
This Tree ID Thread is becoming un-bear-able ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 04:16:40 PM »
Paul_H
Didn't include at what point you actually put some clothes on....so did ya shoot da bear while bare?  Inquiring minds gotta know....... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »
 :D :D Before I went down stairs.If things went badly,I didn't want to be seen running through the neighbourhood with a bare behind.
eg  tregar  meste  p  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline Phorester

• Forester
  • Can't have a healthy forest without cutting trees.
    • Share Post
    • About Forestry Forum Host
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »

Think I'd rather be running with a bare behind than with a bear behind.
About.Forestry.Com forum host. Ya'll come: http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »

In Black Walnut (Juglans nigra), the terminal leaflet usually aborts.......... ;)

I've noticed that to. Didn't know it was a trait. But, definitely a good ID feature.  ;D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »
Yes sir.  One of the best traits.  Along with that chambered pith :).  Hard to see that pith in a leaf, though ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter