iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Gearbox Rebuild

Started by Hokiemill, August 24, 2008, 07:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hokiemill

So I got the winch chain replaced on my Lucas and was able to mill enough for a full kiln load.  I still had half a log that needed to be milled and stickered to air dry, when things went badly.  Looks like the bearing for the pulley shaft is shot and gear oil pours out from around the shaft and I can wiggle the shaft.  I have a call into Baileys for some input, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience rebuilding a Lucas gearbox? 

bandmiller2

Hokie,I have never been in a Lucus gearbox,but bearings and seals are all standard.Take note when you take it apart if their are shims between the gears and bearings.I would call the builder and ask if the box is setup with slight backlash or a preload on the gears.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MaddiesDad

Most gear boxes use Timken or other bearings.  They are usually off the shelf items.  Worm gears/etc are getting harder to get, esp those from Ramsey. 

bandmiller2

Hokie,how are you making out with your gearbox??The lack of responce to your question usally means its not a common problem.I'd be sure to call the manufacturer usally if its an uncommon problem the will treat you fairly.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hokiemill

Sorry for the silence guys.  I've been out of town and working on a couple other projects.  I did call and talk to Doug at Baileys just to determine if the gearbox could, indeed be rebuilt and he said it is possible.  I had to ask the question because it looks like the swing frame that holds the gearbox was built around the box.  He sent me a cross reference to numbers of more commonly available bearings and seals.

I probably won't get started on it until after next week.  Getting my tailgating bus up and running takes priority this weekend (anyone know if the fuel pump in a 88 chevy G30 van is in the tank or on the block?  Or where I can find the fuel pump relay?).  I'll take some pictures of the gearbox rebuild in case anyone is interested.

Scrout that looks very similar but I'm not sure if it is the same.  It would be a bargain if it was the same one.  A replacement gearbox comes with the swingframe that is built around it and the assembly costs around $1100.  I hope this rebuild works!!!!

brdmkr

Quote from: scrout on September 04, 2008, 11:13:34 AM

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008090410015092&item=13-1210&catname=powerTrans

Not totally sure, but this might be close.

I have seen that gear box and it does look the same.  However, it is only rated for 17hp and the 618 is an 18hp.  I also am not sure about the ratio.  If it is the same box, I'd buy one just to have a spare.  Does anyone know if it is the same?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Hokiemill

I went over to my mill yesterday and checked the gearbox - it is a B&P model 1018.  The surplus center doesn't list a B&P model number (by appearance alone it looks like it could be a 1010, 1018, or 1020).  Even if it did, we'd still need to find out the Lucas gear ratio because the model 1018 comes in many different ratios.  I also found that the US distributor for B&P is right here in Virginia.  Here's where I found the model info for gearboxes that look like the one I have and the one at the surplus center (http://www.bondioli-pavesi.us/particolareProdotti.jsp?catID=72).  I'll keep looking into the issue.

scrout

Hi guys,

I found in some notes I had copied from conversations regarding a home built swingsaw that the Lucas is a 1:1 gearbox, the 1018.  So unless the shafting was identical, the surplus center unit would not work for spares either.

brdmkr

Thanks scrout, that answers my question.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!