iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bats

Started by Magicman, January 02, 2012, 02:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I think that I noticed a "bat deficiency" in Durant where I am sawing, so I'm going to improve their breeding herd.  115 miles away should be sufficient to prevent these from returning.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The little brown bat is just about wiped out up here it seems. They have been surveying caves for years. Once in the thousands in these caves, was recently found to have about 22 bats remaining. One year was a massive die off with the cave floor littered with dead bats.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 19, 2014, 06:21:55 AM
The little brown bat is just about wiped out up here it seems. They have been surveying caves for years. Once in the thousands in these caves, was recently found to have about 22 bats remaining. One year was a massive die off with the cave floor littered with dead bats.

Rabies?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

My little population seems to be stable.  I am still trans-locating a couple every few weeks.  I notice droppings and will find a couple hanging behind the wall ornament.  They get put into my cricket box and taken on a journey.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WmFritz on May 19, 2014, 07:49:23 AM

Rabies?

That fungal snout disease, whatever it's called.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

We kinda  like these critters, not in the garage!  put this up this winter,

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

I have one similar on the woodlot beside a beaver pond. I'm not out there often enough to see if there are any residents.  ;D

Wow, it's been 7 years.

Ron Scott

RE:  U.P. BAT DEATHS

Contact: Dan O'Brien, 517-336-5035 or Ed Golder, 517-284-5815

First bats to die from white-nose syndrome this winter reported in Keweenaw County

Today, the Michigan DNR announced that it has received the first reports this winter of bats dying from white-nose syndrome. Members of the public found dead bats outside the opening of an abandoned copper mine near Mohawk in Keweenaw County and reported it to DNR field staff.

White-nose syndrome was first discovered in Michigan in late winter 2014 in Alpena, Dickinson, Keweenaw, Mackinac and Ontonagon counties. Widespread die-offs of hibernating bats are expected in all of these counties, and potentially others, this winter. Experience with white-nose syndrome in northeastern states suggests that most dead bats will be found within 100 yards of the openings to the mines, caves or other places in which they hibernate (called 'hibernacula'), but some bats may travel a mile or more before dying.

Because most of the major bat hibernacula in these counties are in relatively remote areas, most people will probably not see the bat die-offs. However, in towns like Iron Mountain, Hancock and Norway, where large numbers of bats hibernate in mines within the city limits, area residents may see dead and dying bats. These bats may be on the ground, or roost on trees, buildings or other structures close to humans and domestic animals.

While there is no connection between white-nose syndrome and rabies, bats can carry rabies, a virus that infects the central nervous system of mammals, including people, and causes death if not properly treated. Rabies is most commonly spread by the bite (or contact with the saliva) of an infected animal. Bats are the animals most commonly found infected with rabies in Michigan, although the disease is relatively rare even in bats.

"We understand the public will be concerned, and we share their concern for the plight of these bats," said DNR wildlife veterinarian Dan O'Brien. "Unfortunately, there is nothing that the public can do to help the bats that are now dying. There is currently no practical way to treat the large number of bats affected by white-nose syndrome. For public health reasons, it is very important that people not touch bats with bare hands, and to keep children, pets and livestock away from bats. Pets and livestock can also be protected by making sure they have a current rabies vaccination."

The DNR asks that bat die-offs this winter be reported on the DNR website or by calling 517-336-5030. The DNR will not be collecting and disposing of bat carcasses where die-offs have occurred. The public can safely dispose of dead bats by picking them up with a shovel or heavy gloves and placing them in plastic trash bags for routine garbage disposal.

Rehabilitation of bats is prohibited in Michigan because of the potential for exposure of humans and domestic animals to rabies.

Long-term, the public can best help bat populations recover from the effects of white-nose syndrome by staying out of mines and caves where bats hibernate (unless proper biosecurity precautions are taken), becoming educated about the critical ecological roles bats play, and supporting bat research and conservation.
For more information on bats and white-nose syndrome, visit www.michigan.gov/wns and www.whitenosesyndrome.org.
~Ron

WmFritz

Thanks for that article Ron.

A few years ago I had about 50 brown bats hanging living in my attic. I put netting up on suspected entry points with loose places to get out, but made it hard for them to get back in. I also put up a couple bat houses to keep them around for mosquito control. Last summer I only had two or three bats on our lot.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ron Scott

RE:  NORTHERN LONG-EARED BAT - US FISH & WILDLIFE SERVICE

Much has been said about the NLEB and possible impact to forestry and the forest industry. 
The following link goes to the FWS site with comprehensive information. 

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/mammals/nlba/index.html
~Ron

Gary_C

Ron, what do you see as the effect of the new proposed rule on logging?

It looks like there will be an approval process with the FWS for all logging jobs.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Spotted owl, woodpeckers, rats, and now bats.  FWS keeps busy dreaming this stuff up, and they could care less what the effects are on working people.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

Quote from: beenthere on February 28, 2015, 01:57:51 PM
Spotted owl, woodpeckers, rats, and now bats.  FWS keeps busy dreaming this stuff up, and they could care less what the effects are on working people.
x2 SSS ;D

Gary_C

As I read thru the proposed rules it scares me to see the powers the rules will grant the Fish and Wildlife Service. Even though it grants exceptions for taking of bats and disturbing habitat under certain circumstances, the rules defacto grant the FWS the power to make a determination to see if any activity is lawful under the regulations. So even though forestry practices are granted exemptions for incidental take and some limited disturbance of habitat, the rules may put another layer of approval of any logging practice.

The last thing we need is more government scrutiny of every activity. And the next thing the FWS will ask for is more money in their budget to watch over us.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Scott

I'm sure that there will be mitigation measures required by the FWLS which landowners and loggers will be required to meet when implementing any timber harvests.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Canadian bat house survey. This a NGO survey partnered by the Wildlife Conservation Society (Bronx Zoo in New York) and the Canadian Wildlife Federation. What it is about, in link below.

https://wcsbats.ca/Our-work-to-save-bats/Batbox-Project/BatBox-Project-Canada-wide

They are conducting bat house surveys in the summer months up here in Canada. Anyone interested is asked to go to the link below where the survey is.

Canada Bat Box Project (qualtrics.com)

Magicman

Wow, this topic is 9 years old and my bat situation is still the exact same.  We still have the wall ornament and I still occasionally see bat droppings and know that I may have a couple of temporary residents. 

We now have a "WYZE" camera under the carport and we get an alert several times a week and a video showing one fluttering by.  I suppose that they are just doing their job.

SwampDonkey

A rare bat, the silver-haired bat, was recently discovered when removing an old growth danger tree, eastern white pine.  The top had broken off the 100 ft tree. 160' from the river bank of the Saint John. It was host to the little critters. No records of them breeding here ever. Very rare that specimens have even been collected anywhere.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/silver-haired-bats-donald-mcalpine-new-brunswick-museum-1.5955064

SwampDonkey

My barn here is host to 4-6 bats, every summer. I see them just before daylight when drinking my morning coffee in the summer. I'm a long way from any water, besides a trickle of a brook. My porch is screened in. ;) My uncle's attic at grandfather's place was full of bats. He was maybe 300 yards from the river. :D

metalspinner

Magicman , have you considered removing the wall
Ornament?😂

Several years ago our Boy Scout troop went caving. In a steep spot, one of the scouts reached his hand out to brace himself on the cave wall.  His hand went right into a bat that was clinging on the wall.
Even though he wasn't bit, he had to go through the rabies shots as a precaution.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Will.K

I've come out of several cave passages with bats clinging to my clothes. Before the majority of little brown bats died off, it was very common to run into dense hibernacula and well populated roosts. No more. Bats are excellent at avoiding contact with people when in flight, but it's hard to squeeze through some places without disturbing or dislodging them. Sometimes we have to take them off the ceiling and put them elsewhere. A few weeks ago I was walking through a TN cave and heard a persistent squeak. I thought it was water squelching in my boot until the little critter climbed onto my neck. Their tiny claws are wonderful. 

Bats are one of those animals (along with snakes, coyotes, spiders and more) for whom there exists a wildly imbalanced and irrational fear/loathing to actual threat ratio. 

petefrom bearswamp

I think I posted this before but here goes
about 10 or 12 yrs ago I was going to the mill in the AM, mug of coffee in hand.
when I slid the door on the pole barn open, a bat fell directly into my coffee mug.
Neither of us was very happy.
I dumped him on the ground and went back to the house for an other cup.
He/she was gone when I got back.
in the days before white nose syndrome I often had them in my lumber stacks.
They are no longer common here except one gets into my garage about every year.
I put a bat house up but they prefer my garage.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: metalspinner on April 12, 2021, 02:40:11 PMMagicman , have you considered removing the wall Ornament?
Oh no, that won't happen.

These were recovered/salvaged from the produce section in a grocery store that closed.

SwampDonkey

Those are awesome. thumbs-up

Thank You Sponsors!