iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire Chains for tractors in a pinch

Started by James P., February 15, 2014, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James P.

Ok , so I am in need of tire chains. I have in my mind only one alternative. Buy or make a set. Like factory of course. Time passes. I procrastinated and forgot about chains. Well it snows. I have my bucket full of split firewood. I am going nowhere. I try and get some traction just to get moving by cutting a piece of chain that will loop around the tire thru the rim. Just long enough I can get a bolt thru and take out slack. Mind you just 1 loop around  1 tire. Holy smokes I'm moving. I then did this to both sides. Moving even better. What the heck. I then put 4 individual loops around each tire pretty much quartered.Who needs expensive tire chains. Yes these are no fancy high dollar chains but they work. So I can go back to work. I over think things sometimes and forget to use my head. Hope this helps somebody.

James P.

roger 4400

I guess that your tractor is 2 wd.......when loading in the bucket try to put a lot of weight on your 3 pt it could help you......For your chains I do not have any but I red on **tractor by net** that the double ladder pattern gives a smooth ride and uniform tracking. And yes with my old 550 Oliver 2wd I use that 4 chains loops  per tire and indeed it worked...Good luck
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

r.man

Whatever gets you by. I would consider the four chain thing but my hubs are solid. Having weight on the three point would also give you an advantage. Weight boxes, barrels or implements will all do the job. I have only had access to a three point for about two seasons and have been thinking about a carry box for the back for firewood. Knew a fellow who used to bring his wood out of the bush with one. He loved it compared to a trailer.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Wellmud

I've got a Kubota 4wd tractor that gets around very well, but trying to push snow on top of the ice you can't always steer where you want it to go, I put the chains from my pickup on the front tires of the Kubota and it makes a big difference on the ice.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Dakota

Word of caution here.  If you loop your chain through the hole in the  rim where the air stem is, you could rip it out of the tire.

Dakota
Dave Rinker

Thehardway

I'll have to remember this for next winter.  Tried pushing snow with my kubota 2wd this past week.  I have turf tires on it. It works fine when it is cold and the snow is dry and granular but if the snow is wet and packs, it turns to ice under the tires and I am going nowhere.  I thought many times chains would pull right through but they are $$ i don't have. 

What did you use as tensioners for the 4 loops?  Tarp straps?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Al_Smith

That's basically what I have on a Ferguson TO 20 .One rim is solid which is simple enough .Drill 6 holes ,use 1/2" eye bolts and eye nuts with little chain shackles and lengths of 3/8" chain .

The open rim just chain with shackles but only 5 on that side ,valve stem ya know . ;)

thecfarm

My grandson has an old garden tractor I just did that too. No holes in the rim,so we had to drill a hole into the rim for the bolt. He was able to get around in the snow. Not now,we have too much now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I can usually do pretty good with chains .That is until some dummy parked the tractor over a mound of dirt that froze hard as a rock .Chains get a pretty good bite on ice and snow but something hard as granite they don't do so well . I think I might have shot myself in the foot this time .

Cguignard

Weight on the 3 pt hitch is good but loaded tires are better, I have mine loaded with windshield wash. Did it my self saved a boat load over tire shop and it is non corrosive. The only down side is it is not as heavy as other ballast liquid.

Thank You Sponsors!