iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID for Aug 17 Solved: Chinquapin

Started by Don P, August 17, 2002, 05:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I caught this tree about 40 miles out of Poplar Bluff, but it grows to mid IL and over into NC.

Bro. Noble

Don P,

Is it a Chinkapin Oak?

Did you go to the BIG TREE state park while you were in that area?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Don P

Got it first try, I need to go deeper in the woods to fool you guys :D
I had seen it fool many (myself included ) into thinking it was a chestnut, there's a  Chestnut Point on the lake near my folks thats actually Chinquapin Point  :D
Didn't make it by the park you mentioned but did get by somewhere "big"... recognize this spot?

Bro. Noble

Don_P,

That sure is a  BIG SPRING.

We have a Chinkapin Oak growing by our dairy barn so I see it a couple of times a day.

Noble

Don P

8) That sure is a Big Spring, the sign says 840 million gallons a day bubble up there. Thats Michelle, her sister and mom in the picture.

If you look close at the tree picture you'll see a river in the background. This is turning a little left and looking upstream on the Current River. We paddled from a few miles upsteam of Van Buren to Big Spring, had a ball. My legs resembled burnt chicken :D.

Bro. Noble

Don_P,

You wouldn't have had to paddle very hard to make that trip----just to keep from hitting the banks or limbs or rocks.  That's the ultimate creek for canoeing.

Did you dine at the little fast food place in downtown Van Buren?  That's the ultimate in junk food.

Noble

Don P

Noble,
I only had to stop in for I scream otherwise the girls kept us very well fed, I'm still grunting when I bend over the extra few pounds :D.
That is a nice floating river...gotta be the clearest water I've been on.

Frank_Pender

Hey, Don P. we have alot of that growing here in parts of Western-Central, Oregon.  In fact I just put a large Whack in the kiln yesterday, evening.  a fella brought it in from Elsea River area about 60 miles plus, away.  
Frank Pender

Don P

Hey Frank,
I'd love to see a pic of a board of it, I've never sawed any 8).

Frank_Pender

Don, I will take a picture of a piece whenit is dry after I have run one through the planer.   This "Whack" was the first for me, also. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!