iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG if I know???

Started by CHARLIE, August 28, 2002, 07:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

This fungi is growing on a Silver Maple tree in Dover, Minnesota. I've seen many fungi that were like a shelf but never one like this. It's about 12' to 15' up the trunk, cream colored and at least a foot across.  I took my camera with me on my morning walk so I could share it's beauty with y'all. It was still a bit dark, and the picture doesn't do justice to how soft and pretty it really is. But it's the best I can do. :)

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Looks suspiciously like an Oyster fungus.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

Don, I don't think it's Oyster Fungi.  I did a search on Oyster Fungi and it looks like this. The one here in Dover is more of a solid mass with small shelves coming off of it.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

Isn't there a fungus named Shelf Fungus or Shelf Mushroom?

By the By, thanks for teaching me that English phrase.  I have been trying to use it where applicable as have some of the others.

I will try to teach you one in return:

In college, I had a friend from England.  One day I was telling him about my romantic endevors and he replied that I had been SHAT UPON.  I think that must be English for mistreated.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

L. Wakefield

There's one of the shelf fungi called 'hen of the woods' and it is supposed to be HUGE. But I think most of them are closer to the ground. I'm trying to remember the genus/species but it's lurking just out of reach. One (inferior) mushroom guide got me to a probable genuus name- Polyporus- it likely is a woody polypore.   lw (The one I'm thinking of may be Polyporus frondosus)
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!