iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln access

Started by sumpnz, February 17, 2021, 01:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumpnz

Much as I'd love to build a kiln for myself that isn't happening for many years, if ever.  What's the best way to find someone local with a kiln I can access?  What's a reasonable expectation for the cost of using someone else's kiln to dry my wood?

I'm about 70-80 miles north of Seattle.  It hasn't been milled yet, but I have big leaf maple I'm thinking about making into countertops.  Likely will be milled 12/4 thick.  5-10' lengths, 18-34" width.

KenMac

My advice is worth what it costs you, but here goes anyway: Way before you cut the tree you need to do a bunch of research on drying thick slabs. See my post about drying thick pecan for starters. You will probably save yourself a whole lot of frustration and aggravation just by knowing what to expect and how long this journey might take. Goof luck.
 I don't mean to sound totally negative, but you really do need to be familiar with the entire process before you even get started. :o
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

K-Guy

For green cut big leaf maple you are looking at 16-18 weeks in a kiln to dry it properly. Most kiln owners will not want their kiln tied up that long and if they are willing it will be expensive. You will probably have to air dry it down to 20-30% before most would consider drying it for you. Even then it will take 7-9 weeks.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sumpnz

I know the "rule of thumb" for equilibrium is a year per inch thick, but big leaf maple is usually a bit faster than that, and 20-30% is about double equilibrium.  Would a year of air drying be a reasonable expectation for getting 12/4 slabs under 30%?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It depends on the climate before anyone can estimate the drying time.  The supposed rule of thumb you quoted is not even close to the truth for most species.  90 days for 1" is often fine, but it depends on the climate.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Stephen1

Here is my Canadian price to KD in my vacuum kiln from green. 12/4 is very thick, it would take  8 weeks 2.10 a kiln board foot, per 2 week cycle = $8.40 
A kiln board foot is measured at the widest and longest point of your slab. 
I would suggest air drying at least a full year and 2 would be better, and hope it comes down around 15% and then we could dry it in 2 weeks. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!