iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Some new boots

Started by vinc5d, March 01, 2016, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinc5d

I know that a fairly recent topic was made about boots, but it just so happens that today my old boots kicked the bucket....Its about time thought i hate them with a passion! Anyways i am now looking into new boots.....But i want some opinions on brands and boot styles. I do a lot in my boots (Farm,Log and cut firewood), i would like a pair of all around boots i am interested in "logger" style boots but don't really need caulks or care for the high heel just looking for something that i can be safe and comfortable no matter what i am doing. SO i guess what i am asking is does anyone have this style of boot? what are your opinions on them? Fit well? Long lasting? North American made? my budget is yet unknown but i will not be buying custom made Whites or Nicks!
Echo Timberwolf 590, poulan 3314

Greyhound

I'm very happy with Red Wing's.  All but their lowest priced are still made in USA.  Whatever fits you the best will the best.

thecfarm

Have you looked at those Vikings logging boots? I have a pair and if I am outside,they are on my feet. Even in the garden. Sometimes I am walking through the grass first thing in the morning. Than somtimes I am in a wet hole cutting wood. So I need the rubber to keep my feet dry. I had one pair with the nylon on top,that broke off. Now I have a pair that laces up in the back. They seem to be better,so far.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Husqvarna or Stihl dealers sell those orange Viking boots with a regular rubber  sole for a little over a hundred $. They last for years and are comfortable.
I have the leather top Vikings also and they breath better on warmer days. Good for in winter when you get them a few sizes bigger and put felt liners in them
Don't forget the Bama socks when wearing the Viking high tops
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DaveP

8" steel toe Redwings.  Made in U.S.A.

kderby

I am a fan of Whites Boots from my Wildfire days.  They are acclaimed as the best and I agree.  The money spent up front will come back in longevity.  My packer style boots are twenty five years old.  They have been re-soled once.  My fire boots have been rebuilt two and three times (two pair) three times.  I just got a new pair at the factory in Spokane, WA.  Likely to last me the rest of my days.  Rebuilding is easy.  You can sure get boots cheaper but it is hard to get boots better.

$453 USD for boots.  For three years of service that is a dollar a day for superb comfort and protection.  That seems like a good deal, if you can front the money.

Other similar and quality boot makers are Drew's and Nick's if you want to support smaller production shops.  I never did get a pair of Westco's becauseI went straight to Whites.  I have enjoyed Chippewa and Redwing boots but they break down.  The light hiker boots from Hi-Tech, New Balance, Asolo and Cabela's are like glorified tennis shoes.  I am just too tempted to keep them till they are really broken down.  Besides, most of those are made in China.

mad murdock

Wesco's are a decent boot at a reasonable price.  I like them. If I had the scratch, sure I would go for whites or Nicks. I have a pair of boots made by Wesco, they have served well, and have lasted 2 pairs of soles so far, very comfortable to wear. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kronker

I have the Hawthorn boots.  Made in the Whites factory at about 1/2 the cost.  You will have to look at the styles as some are more rebuild-able than others.  I think the ones I have were around $280 I have resoled them once and wear them everyday.  Been good so far, I don't do the heels as I will destroy them as I walk on the outside of my heel.  I have a vibram sole with no real heel.

pwrwagontom

Labonville! USA manufactured, Kevlar toe, put up with abuse well. Only downside is I'd recommend insoles
Never give an inch

dgdrls

Danner builds a nice boot and many have a low heel.
Built in Portland Ore. as they advertise,

Dan

BUGGUTZ

I wear Georgia loggers but they are a tall heel boot. I also for the past 10 years have been wearing Irish Setters. Its the off shore boot from Red Wing. The seem to hold up excellent. I usually send my old pair in for a resole and buy a new pair. I get 2-3 soles per pair. They sell in Red Wing stores for $190 ish and I get mine from a local Amish boot shop for $137 and send the old ones in for a $60 resole.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!