iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy Bandsawmill Parts New?

Started by luke, March 19, 2004, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

Hi everyone,

I am planning on building my own manual bandsawmill. But I am having trouble finding parts like bandwheels, blade guides, bearings, pulleys, and shafts, no problems finding steel for the carriage. Was wondering where you buy those kind of parts at?

Also, I have seen the bandsawmill plans with car tires, I may use that plan to build my bandmill. I look forward to building this bandsawmill, I have welded very little in my life, and I'm looking forward to welding the carriage together with a arc welder, it should be a learning experience as well as a rewarding experience. From my estimations someone with high school shop class knowledge should be able to handle the job.

LUKE
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Do a Google search for Linn Lumber. Evert part you will need, AND plans.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Luke: Watch that high school shop knowledge talk, we don't want everyone to know about the life long knowledge and experiences we've been dishing out. :o  Next thing ya know the shop will be filled with wanta be mechanics, carpenters, welders, printers, electricians, draftsman, CNC controllers;  gee,  the thought makes me cring. ;)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

luke

Hello Shopteacher,

your probably right, it takes more than high school shop education to do things sometimes. I may have someone build one for me, if they work for reasonable rates I haven't decided yet.

So what are the best blade guides to use? I see that cooks saw company has 1 1/4" retrofit guides they look pretty good.
Also, what about 21" bandsawwheels compared to trailer tires? Which ones work the best when using a bandsawmill constantly day in and day out?

Luke

luke

I have changed my plan. After studying the "costs" of the bandsawmill parts, I have come to a conclusion that it is cheaper for me to buy a bandsawmill already built. Because the parts are just to high. I have made a decision to purchase a new Turner Bandsawmill, I just can't beat his price and quality. Looks like a good manual bandsawmill for a reasonable price. And he's willing to put the 10 hp single phase electric Baldor motor on, that I specified.

Thanks to everyone that has given me advice on sawmilling, it is very much appreciated.

Luke

D._Frederick

Luke,

There are a lot of  plus and minus to build your own equipment, but I would estimate that the 80/20 rule holds for build your own. That is that 80 % of people end up throwing there build it yourself projects in the scrap pile. Some people like FDH can build and get most everything built
 and working, the other 20%.

But the cost factor is the other big item, some people collect things for years before starting. If you have to buy every thing at retail cost, you will have a hard time saving money.

The other big thing is if your design will function, companies that design and build things will fab. half a dozen before they get the design de-bugged and working. Are you going to spend that much time and money?

So you made the right choice in your case, you have bought something that will work and at a reasonable cost.
Anyway, good luck with your new sawmill.

Thank You Sponsors!