iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

KD Tropical Hardwood

Started by Stephen1, January 17, 2022, 08:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have a customer asking me qoute on drying AD wood from Mexico. No idea of moisture content. 
I understand it is an oily wood. 
Does anyone have experience with KD this type of wood?
4/4 Bocote          3020 BF
8/4 Bocote          445 BF
4/4 Granadillo   1945 BF
4/4 Ziricote         1275 BF
5/4 Bocote Slabs 523 BF
5/4 Granadillo Slabs 547 BF           
Total                     7,755 BF
17 Packs
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

K-Guy

Bocote use the same schedules for Sycamore
Granadillo  T1 D1 for 4/4. Very low temp and very slow drying. Supposedly very little defects like checking and splitting. though.
Ziricote - scientufic name Cordia dodecandra This and Bocote are in the same family and I couldn't find specific drying schedules for them just a generic for the family.

I found no information on vacuum kiln drying these, you want to check with IDry on that.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Stephen1

Thanks K-guy. I figuredit will be a chalenge. I do not think there will a quote. It will be trial and error type of drying process. 
I am guessing what the importers thought of as a deal , just might not be such a deal once it goes into the kiln. Especially if I am doing the experimenting on their $$$$
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

metalspinner

I'm surprised non-kiln dried lumber can come across the border?!?

Don't we have enough hitch hikers to deal with?

Maybe this is previously kiln dried but gained moisture??
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ianab

Quote from: metalspinner on January 17, 2022, 06:36:50 PM
I'm surprised non-kiln dried lumber can come across the border?!?

Don't we have enough hitch hikers to deal with?

Maybe this is previously kiln dried but gained moisture??
Possibly bromide fumigated? Nasty stuff, but if you pump a shipping container full of it, leave it 24 hours, there ain't much left alive in there. It doesn't treat the wood as it's a gas (no residue). 
It might also be "kiln dried", but only to tropical humidity levels.  Dry enough not to grow mushrooms in shipping, but not Nth American Wood Worker dry.  
Here's the rules about importing lumber and logs into the US.  Either kiln dried / heat treated or fumigated seems to be the options. 
Microsoft Word - ~5144856.doc
I suspect bugs are more likely to come in via food / packing material / or imported vehicles? Things that aren't routinely heat treated or fumigated. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

K-Guy

Quote from: Ianab on January 17, 2022, 07:34:51 PMI suspect bugs are more likely to come in via food / packing material / or imported vehicles?

I agree, every so often there is a story in the news of someone finding with or without the bite a poisonous tropical spider in the fruit and vegetables at a supermarket.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Stephen1

I was suprised also that untreated wood is allowed in to Canada. I was told it was AD but not what moisture content. I am not tht receptive to it being gassed andthenshipped in the container. My kiln changes air every 12-24 hrs depending. I can tell what wood is in the kiln by how the shop smells in the morning. I wouldn't want a residue gas for me to breathe when I am in the shop.

Don P

That's what was crossing my mind, that is wicked stuff. I think I'd have them deliver it on a flatbed.

metalspinner

They should have some documentation as to the treatment the lumber received at its origin. Assuming this is the original owner of the material.  
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Stephen1

I talked with the importer yesterday. THe containers are fumigted as per our government. I turned down drying the wood as I really do not want the fumes in my shop 

Thank You Sponsors!