iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air filter life

Started by J Beyer, August 11, 2002, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

How long do the air filters on the different brands of saws stay clean until a cleaning is required?  How do you guys clean them in the field without an air compressor?  And how do you know when an air filter has had it? I've been thinking of getting the high-performance air filter from Bailey's for my 066, would like input from you pro's on the performance air-filter setup before I buy.  I do not saw full-time, just when weekends, hobbies, and the weather cooperates.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Kevin

I clean an air filter with compressed air after what I consider to be a steady single days use.
I wash it about every five or six air cleanings.
There is a summer and winter filter for the 066.

Corley5

I clean my Husky's whenever I think it may need it.  But its never been really dirty.  Definetely not enough so to affect the way it runs.  My 2094 Jonsered was the same way.  To clean them I spray them out with a few shots from a can of ether/starting fluid.  The 2094 still has its original filter and it's a 1990 model.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

KiwiCharlie

G'day JB,

Not that Im a pro, but I prefer to have a spare filter, and change it half way through the day, to be on the safe side (probably over safe!).  Milling is dusty work, so a change is always good.  For normal felling/limbing, and if I forget the spare, I would be happy going for a days use, with maybe a good compressed lung blow or two!
Check the plastic surrounds of the filter for cracking, or rubber perishing, and obviously if there are any nicks in the elements, them trash it asap!  Other than that they should last for ages.
Soapy water, and well rinsed works, being careful with the elements.  I have normal gauze, and flocked filters for my 090, and Im really attentive to them, with the cost of a new saw!
Heres the normal filter.

Heres the flocked filter.

Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Charlie, the rope isn`t even dirty on that saw.  :D

ADfields

A new saw of mine would get more dirty on the ride home from the sawshop. :-/ ::)

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,

:D  ;) When I first got the saw, I borrowed a mates digital camera, and went to town!! (you'll notice its sitting on the carpet!).  When it doesnt cost anything, ie developing, its amazing how many pics one can take.....
Now I just need to get my 'a into g' and get some milling pics.....
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Saw Man

Air cleaner life can be judged by a few simple rules.

Replace when :
>Flocked or screened. You can see light holes/shafts thru it.
>Flocking is loose or comming off.
>Material is bellied, bowed, sagging. No longer taunt.
>Splitable. Not longer snaps & stays together.
>Cracks at fasteners, or anywhere.

Filters actually filter better when a little dirty!!!!!!!!! That's not crudy, or packed, but a layer of dust, chips on them.
It won't have a negative affect on power, and fuel economy.
Don't believe the 'over selling' by a particular company, who never invented the turbo cleaning process.

To extend, and protect air filter life:
>Don't blow clean with high pressure compressed air!!!!!!!!!!
>Use less tha 90 psi, and safety guns.
>Wash in a soapy, sudsy detergent like dish washing soap.
>Cleaning with gas is not the best way.
>Use only a soft bristle non metal brush.  Not a tooth brush.

Will be glad to explain any of the above if necessary.
Safe & Profitable Cutting

C_Miller

I'm goin to see the eye doctor.  I thought this thread said "after life"
CJM

Thank You Sponsors!