iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing black walnut, preventing burn, please help!!

Started by bkaimwood, July 17, 2016, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaimwood

So I just typed a huge thread intro, and lost it...here's the condensed version. I apparently have a skin reaction and get a poison ivy like reaction from it. I have known this for years. Worst when its hot and sweaty, which it is. Sawed 1/2 day Saturday, long sleeve shirt, gloves...hot and sweaty...well, I still got it, pretty bad. Bad news is I have 5 full days of the same thing this week, having help to handle and dust is not an option. I've heard of applying oil to the skin as a preventative? What kind and does it work? Doesn't sound practical in said situation. I've heard of the same thing, a poison ivy preventative? May do the same thing? May not be practical in said situation? Last idea I had, was pick up a lightweight running jacket, or a fishermans jacket...the breathable kind with a waterproof shell or something, as to not let my sweat drenched body and walnut dust intermingle, as it appears they did through my long sleeve cotton shirt!!! Please help, all thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Help is not an option, and neither is not sawing. I don't want to end up in the ER from excessive heat or an allergic reaction. As of now, I may still end up there for cortisone shots. Thank you!!!
bk

larrydown60

The paint stores have complete suit that is like tyvek  they are like coveralls and work good I have used them painting in Fla wearing shorts and t shirt just tape the leg and arm ends

Brad_bb

The painters suit sounds like a good plan.  Are you sure you are reacting to the Walnut and not poison ivy on the bark of the walnut?  When I got poison ivy, I was prescribed prednisone to suppress the reaction.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bkaimwood

I wish it was from poison ivy on the logs, Brad. It would make for an easier solution.  Unfortunately, there's no doubt it's from the walnut.  >:(
bk

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Greyhound

Dang, I'm really sorry to hear this.  Bee Keepers suits would probably be way too hot for this time of year.  I can barely tolerate 30 minutes of low activity.  Tyvek painter's suit sound like it would protect better and be cooler and less expensive, but I've never tried one.

OffGrid973

Use something called tecnu(cvs has it) which is used to clean the oil from poison ivy off after someone has come in contact. I now do this every two hours depending on the woods (sketchy factor) especially cause poison ivy turns me into the Toxic Avenjer (only NJ super hero ever) which is not pleasant to look at.

Better safe for every two hours but I heard something about how long poison ivy takes to set in.

Good luck
http://www.baselineequipment.com/tecnu-original-outdoor-skin-cleanser?rid=PLA&gclid=CJ_s4cSt-80CFQamaQodZLsOvQ
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

plowboyswr

When I was working  for a neighbor running his turkey Farm we had these coveralls light weight, breathable, water resistant, wish I could remember the brand, but alas 15 years has faded the memory. ::)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kbeitz

Poison ivy is an oil. Adding oil to your skin before hand fill the skin pours and keep
the poison out. So I would think it would work for Walnut.
Baby oil is cheap and it's not to messy. Washing really good after your work
with something like Dawn dish washing liquid really helps also.

If you type a long thread it payes to highlite it and copy before you hit the
post button. This way if something goes wrong all you need to do is paste.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bkaimwood

Thanks so much for the help!!! I now have my black walnut sawing kit ready. Hopefully it works out...

bk

red

Don't forget your lucky rabbits foot , be safe . You know any medical Bill will be more than $300
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

4x4American

That technu is supposedly good stuff, I have some here, but typically I just shower with dish soap if I was in contact with the stuff.  That painter's suit was a good idear.  Hopefully you make it through!
Boy, back in my day..

OffGrid973

Can we please get a pic when this goes into action?  Prefer the first major blowback of walnut when the wind shifts and the bee suit turns brown :)

Good luck !
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

YellowHammer

Allergic reactions are caused by histamines, so in addition to preventing physical exposure with the suggested protective gear, I would also take some oral over the counter anti-histamines.  Some of the more effective are Claritin, Allegra, Zertec, etc.  They will certainly help lessen the reaction.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Carson-saws

splains why others trees don't grow so well around a Walnut I'm thinkin.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

carykong

Get yourself the largest industrial fan you can afford and place it to your back

bkaimwood

Carson...you are exactly right...black walnut releases the toxin Junglone, which is the toxin which typically causes many things to grow poorly in a 20 foot radius of the tree, and some things not at all...
Gary...😂😂😂...I appreciate the humor, and already pictured myself in my white tyvek suit, running the mill...as if that won't look silly enough, wait till the sawdust starts flyin' and the bi products of walnut start caking to me...I may look more like I work in a swampy cow pasture!!!😠😠😠
Problem is I'll be alone, so selfies may be out of the question...maybe a good thing!😃 You can count on pictures of this documentary in whatcha sawin', I promise. I have @3500 bf of walnut to saw in 5 days, solo. Doesn't sound like much, but @2000 of it will be for a high end, custom job...so every cut matters more than ever, and one mistake, miscalculation, miscut, or cut quality issue could cost hundreds. This is far from the largest custom order I have done BF wise, but easily the highest $$$$$ order...the species and quantity says it all...my largest boards will be 12/4 x 15" wide, the smallest will be 12/4 x 8" wide... who's got the other end??!!😂😂😂
Thank you all for your help and interest...time to get ready to head out for day one...
bk

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bkaimwood

I am here!!! Guess that means still alive...rough but productive day. Got suited up, and was soaked through it in less than an hour. I'm presuming at this point it was doing what my long sleeve shirt had done... nothing. At this point oil and perspiration were free to intermingle. So I pulled the top half down, used the ivy wash, dried, then reslathered the ivy stuff on. Back to it, until the heavens broke loose...was skinning the last log, #6, down to a cant. The lighting started getting close and I could hear the thunder over the mill. That was a bit after lunch. De-suited, washed up again, reslathered, took a break until it passed, bout 45 minutes. Put 2 scrap boards down in the water and mud, and finished the cant up. Hit a nail 3rd to last board, but she was cutting straight, just with more character....so I finished, as it was starting to rain again. Dusted and stacked all the boards in the truck, packed up and hitched the mill, and backed it all into the barn. It'll wait until morning. Took another anti ivy wash, then a shower. Sitting in my underwear in front of the AC with a beer and a smoke. Guess I'll know in a day or two how much it helped. Sawed 16 3x8x10's, mostly all heartwood, and probably twice that in board footage in mostly 8/4 slabs, where I couldn't minimize sapwood, or the math just wouldn't keep me far enough from the pith. Trying not to get any closer than 1", even then, sometimes you note defect. Nothing unacceptable. No record breakers at an estimated 7-800 BF, but I am not trying break any either. This lumber has structural value, so no grade sawing, no taper sawing...level pith perfectly, graph log end, go get what's in there. Good news is with Saturday, all 8 logs at my secret yard are sawed up, the rest is here at my place...so I'll be sawing under roof in the barn...
bk

Thank You Sponsors!