iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fireflies

Started by Tim L, July 10, 2007, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim L

Is it just me or is there an abundance of fire flies (lightning bugs ) this year ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

Don K

Definitely on the increase.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Onthesauk

You don't suppose all that light is accerating global warming do you? ;D

Have never lived anywhere that had them.  Can remember visiting cousins in Minn and Ill as a kid and being facinated by fireflies.

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

We have more than usual around the house too.  It's a neat sight to see them flying and blinking back in the swamp after dark.  It really gives the place a sense of 3 dimension.

Tim L

Do they have any predators ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

Furby

Yeah....................... KIDS!
:D :D :D

Tom

Furby, you are right. Kids are real predators of fireflies. :D

The larvae live on the ground and eat things like slugs, snails and earthworms.  The adults probably get their sustainance from the nector of plants.

Jeff

We have a bunch at the cabin in the U.P. this year as well. Certainly more then I have noticed in the past.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

One summer when I was a kid, the University of Texas was doing a study on them. they were paying a penny apiece. We never managed to sell any but a lot of them sure gave their final days in the name of science.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

There used to be a place in the midwest what would buy them. Can't remember the price but I think it was pennies each. I remember as a kid catching a mason jar full thinking I'd use them as a night light. My mom was not impressed with the smell after a few days. :D

Carries-Mom

I haven't seen any down here in my neck of the woods....they must be avoiding the heat (about 95 degrees) smiley_sun

isawlogs

Quote from: Norm on July 13, 2007, 07:50:55 AM
My mom was not impressed with the smell after a few days. :D

You and Plupet cousins ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

grassfed

A big thing that affects fireflies is tall grass.  If you have un-mown areas with tall grass you get a lot more fireflies.
Mike

Furby

None here and I have had TONS of unmowed grass. ::)

SwampDonkey

Yes they like tall grass and unkept grounds with tall thickets. I read some females of one species lures the males of another to make a meal out of him.  ::)

We had the usual crop of them this year. Fireflies folk lure considered that a good turn out of the bugs meant a sign for a run of salmon on the rivers here.

Furby if there are spray programs in your area for whatever bugs, that may explain no fireflies. I'm surprised to see any around these potato fields, but a lot of  chemicals for beetle is systemic now. They mostly spray fungicides.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

metalspinner

We ran out of bait one night at the pond so we caught a couple of firefly's to see what would  happen.  It was getting pretty dark outside so we could not see down into the water.  Well, a firefly on the end of a hook took care of that.  That thing glowed down about 18" then was hit hard by a bluegill.  We were originally using corn kernals for bait, and they would just nibble at it - no big hits.  But when that firefly hit the water it was on!
                                                                                 smiley_deadheader alligator
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!