iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

While I was cutting brush and trees along the edge of a field this winter I cut a number of small cherry trees. Instead of cutting them into all firewood I saved a few 5' lengths. So yesterday I sawed them into cants for table or bench legs. I sawed whatever thickness I could get from them, which turned out to be 3x3s and 4x4s.

Then I sawed up two red oak logs that were cut off the edge of the field.

all the best, Cutter

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: Sixacresand on April 03, 2020, 08:45:42 AMMM, is your spare mounted to the mill.
John, my spare rides in the back of my pickup.

Today was more of the same for me.  Fourteen 2X10's and then 2X6's for a yield of 1348bf for today and 2600bf for the job.

Only 5 logs left to saw tomorrow morning.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I am coming up on my 650 hour service so I have been sawing some stock just to use up the hours at home. I had a small maple tree fall on my pasture fence last Fall and I dragged it down. I bucked it into 4-8' log and sawed them today. Only 1X6 and 1X4s and the top little log I sawed into 10/4 squares for bench legs. Nothing outstanding just pretty much common lumber. Total of 99 bf for all. 

Biggest log not over about 12" and a little sweep so still nothing over 6" boards 

Just added to same pallet of maple I sawed yesterday. I had forgotten - green maple logs have a real pleasant smell. The bark was slipping but the wood was pretty soft and sawed easily.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Sawing cherry for my best customer today.  Funny thing is he built the cabinets in my house 31 years ago.  I've almost made that money back now.

We made over 1000 board feet today of 4/4, 5/4 and 16/4

He does support the uneven ends of the various lengths so they stay straight when dying.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

We finished my framing lumber job today.  The customer decided that he wanted some 2X4's after all so that is all that we sawed today. 

We sawed 977bf of 2X4's added to the 2600bf previously sawed making 3577bf total for the job.  I made a video and tried 3 times to upload it to YouTube but it failed.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Ted, that is some good looking cherry.
MM, It looks like the pt is coming along.  When you get back to 100% the pine trees in Mississippi might really be in trouble.  That is a whack of 2x.
Caveman

Magicman

Thanks, and the customer was well pleased.

Luke, on the right in this picture taken Feb. 20, 2010....

Has done a bit of growing.  :)

Magicman

Wowser Ted, that is a super whack of Cherry.  8)

SawyerTed

A keen viewer looking at the cherry up close will see around 7 or 8 layers down from the top there are a couple of layers of ash.  The borers had not gotten to it and it was beautiful wood.  My customer builds high end custom furniture and cabinets.  He buys logs and collects 12-15 for a sawing day.  We saw once or twice a month October through March.  This is my second year cutting for him.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Ted,
That is a hefty load!  Is that going in the back of a pickup?  Does he kiln dry local?  

SawyerTed

His family owns and operates the local builder supply so he borrows a delivery truck with a Moffett forklift. He sizes his stacks to fit his racks and the racks are built to allow loading with the forklift.  Think of a firewood shed with a hinged roof.  He uses landscape fabric to shield the lumber from weather.

He will air dry the lumber in racks before moving into his home built dehumidifier kiln.  From there he moves his lumber into racks in his shop.

Magicman

I was looking at the beginning and ending of the 3 day job that my Grandson and I just sawed.

Beginning.

And ending.  Sometimes even I am impressed with what comes out of ugly logs.  ;)

DbltreeBelgians

Walnut and lead. First time I've hit a bullet. Made some nice 8/4 slabs for one of my captains at the FD. He was pretty pleased to have Christmas in April. I told him we're the first people to ever see the inside of this tree.

Brent

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

This is about as good as I can get to centering the pith magicman

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

@Kwill  that cuts pretty smooth, nice shed as well!
Brent, we like seeing the inside as well.  lots of character in that log.  @DbltreeBelgians 
Lynn looks like who ever is taking that picture is raising both shoulder pretty high!  @Magicman 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Actually doc, I am within 2" of being able to reach as high with that right arm.  That plus there is very little soreness during my stretching PT.  Yup, I think that I am doing good and I also believe that the sawing is giving me a variety of moves that are beyond what 'normal' folks get.  ;D

Oops, I think that I just admitted that I was not normal.  ::)

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on April 05, 2020, 07:32:17 PMOops, I think that I just admitted that I was not normal. 

Acting normal...worst 5 minutes of my life.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

doc henderson

Quote from: Magicman on April 05, 2020, 07:32:17 PMI also believe that the sawing is giving me a variety of moves that are beyond what 'normal' folks get.  ;D

I guess we will have to ask @PatD   smiley_gorgeous  about that!!!  8) 8) 8)   :o :o :o ;) :)   @Magicman 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Did not saw today but did get out and did my 650 hour (50 hourly) service. I'm pretty anal about doing them on schedule. Yesterday on my last couple cuts my power feed started acting up. I checked that and found a bent finger on the drum switch. Easy fix with my leatherman. I also did an alignment check and amazed myself when I found the last permanent rail had lifted over 1/4" off the base. The foot was clearing the frame by that much and you could see the mark on the paint where it had shifted. I assume the 15' X 300 bf ash I cut last week slammed it and caused it to slip. I was wondering why it had not shown up in my other cuts then I remembered everything I cut after that was 8' and did not rest on that rail. I am sure glad I caught it when I did. I am never fast on these services but they are a confidence builder to remember to methodically check all these points and be able to make very minor adjustments to bring things back into sync. While I was making this post I went and checked my total bf against my total engine hours and see I am averaging 156.36 bf/hr. Not setting the world on fire but I'm satisfied - that is engine hours BTW not total hours loading, stacking, etc when the mill is not running.

A neighbor 2 miles away called and wants me to come tomorrow to look at 30 or so poplar logs he wants sawed. The last we talked he wanted 18 12'X2"X4". I guess he got to cutting the trees and decided to cut more and build another shed/chickenhouse, etc. That all sounds good to me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

I finally got some free time combined with decent weather, so I fired up the mill yesterday afternoon and cut some yew, walnut and wild cherry into live edge slabs. The yew surprised me, the grain was pretty boring. The walnut had some nice grain, but the cherry was the most interesting. That's the first time cutting wild cherry and I think I'll try to find some to incorporate into the apartment build. I have a job milling some beams tomorrow, now that work has slowed down, maybe I'll get to be a regular on here again. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

Crossroads,
Glad to hear from you.
Glad you have time to get back sawing :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

caveman

I got another call Friday morning to get a few more logs.  I took my small trailer again.  The loader operator is very skilled but he pushed a little too hard an bent a fender mount.  No worries, I pulled the fender off and will bend the mount and reweld it and put the fender back on.  The log on top is a camphor 17'.  It is about all my Kubota wanted to lift today when I unloaded.

Last weekend we sawed a few longleaf logs, built five pallets and made a few more saw horses.  

This morning, after sending out assignments from home I sawed a few more longleaf logs.

Time to go haul the slabs to the burn pile (we have a burn ban now- 2.?" of rain so far this year) and saw a few more logs.
Caveman

tule peak timber

Boy- nice sticks Caveman. We moved the kiln last week, stuffed the new storage building, and broke ground on a new office space.Rain -heavy all this week.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

you have quite the operation there TPT!  keep us up to date!

Thank You Sponsors!