iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wide bands on a woodmizer

Started by pineywoods, October 12, 2010, 10:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Anybody run 1 1/2 inch bands on a woodmizer? Neighbor gave me one, looked almost new, that he scrounged up somewhere. 1 1/2 inch .055. I stuck it on my old lt40 just to see if it would work. It tracked just fine without any adjusting, cut good in knotty dry pine. Probably will break soon on those 19 inch wheels.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I think the .055's are a little too stiff for use on the LT40's unless you are up on the HP.

I would also think that the 1½ inch blades would be a bear to get in and onto the "drive" wheel.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

I started with the 1 1/4 blades on the LT40 then switch to the 1 1/2 and got better feed rates but they did seem to break a little sooner but I felt I was getting more wood cut per blade since the feed rate was higher. I now run the
1 3/4" blades on the 2 LT70 and get the same results. All my blades are .055 and 10 degree.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

We've used the 1.5 x .055 WM blades on our LT40 Super with 25hp electric.  Sawed those hard to saw logs real well.  But they're stiff and hard to handle (for me).  We went back to the 1.25 and then even further back to the .045 by 1.25.  Once the 7° Double Hards came out, we're hooked on these. 

We still have a few .055 x 1.5s and I'll probably get around to re sharpeing them myself to use to cut nails and such.  They take nails real good!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Don't the 1½" bands use a wider blade guide roller?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I only went to the wider rollers when I went to 1 3/4" blades. I have only handled one box of smaller blades and that was a box I resharpened for WDH and when I went to coil them I bout hit myself in the chin because I kept flipping them to hard. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sgschwend

The .055 from my calculations are less than 10% wider in kerf, so I would expect them to need about 10% more horse power; assuming a good cut in each. 

Certainly would be a tight turn on a 19" wheel, but if WM makes them for that machine I would think it should work.  There are lots of different steel formulas so I would not be surprised that there would be one that would work for a 19" wheel.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Cypress Man

We've been using  the .055 x 1 1/4 x 10 degree blades on a LT 40 Super 3 phase electric for four years now.  They have a great feed rate but usually break after 1 or 2 sharpenings.  WM has discouraged me from using the 1 1/2 blades stating they dont see a reasonable enough difference in performance to justify the increased cost of the        1 1/2 on my mill.   There is a huge difference going from .045 to .055 if you have the HP to push them. 
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

WDH

Jake and I were sawing a big white oak late last year at his place and I went to coil one of his 1 3/4 blades and immediately failed.  He just looked at me and laughed  ;D.

My LT15 and his LT70 are a study in contrasts, kinda like yin and yang  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redbeard

I'am having pretty good luck so far pushing the .055  1/14  10 degree blades with a 30 hp gas kohler B-20 TK,  They are cutting the Doug fir nice and straight. I have been getting some good milage with them, when they start to dull there hasen't been any diving or waves yet just fuzzy and stringy finish then i change em.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

weisyboy

should be fine.

i run 1 1/2" bands on my shop bandsaw for resawing and it has 16" wheels.

they last just as long as the thinner bands.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!