iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power feeder question

Started by trimguy, March 29, 2023, 10:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

I have never used a power feeder before, but I'm thinking about getting a power feeder, mainly to use on a shaper, and probably some on a large tablesaw. From reading older posts I guess I need to go straight for the 1 hp size. I'm looking at Powermatic brand. They make a three wheel and a four wheel feeder. I think I want the three wheel one because it will be a little more compact. What are the pros and cons of the 3 wheel versus the 4 wheel , And any other information would be appreciated.

boonesyard

I can't speak to a 4 wheel, but I've been using the Powermatic 1/4hp on my cast iron router table for the past year. I've run about 3,000 lf through and it's worked perfectly. I'm ordering a DC40 Comatic 4 wheel to install on my table saw to run flooring and molding. The reason there is just to have more in contact at the table saw and a bit more HP. The only change I'd make on my Powermatic would be to install urethane tires. The rubber ones that came on the feeder can slip a bit on planed material if they're not clean.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

YellowHammer

A power feeder on a table saw will make it 2X better, faster, smoother, easier and even safer.  I have a PM 3 wheeler, 1 hp, the wheels have a space where they bridge the blade.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

Random thoughts.

Depends on the work your doing and the machine.

I had the 3 HP heavy duty Delta shaper with the 1/4 horsepower feeder.  It was near a perfect match.  Plenty of power and not too big with easy/fast adjustments.  A 1 HP would be massive overkill for this machine and is actually heavy enough to tip the machine over if you swing the feeder out of the way with it extended on the arm.

I'm running a big 9 HP SCMI shaper now with a 1 HP feeder on it.  No way will the 1/4 HP feeder work because the horizontal arm is too short to clear the fence.  I like that the horizontal arm is a lot bigger and can put extra down pressure on the work piece without flexing.  It is a bear to switch from holding work on the table to holding it against the fence.  The reason is because of its weight and lots of adjustments to make the switch.

I have a Delta 3 HP Unisaw that I sometimes use a 1/4 HP feeder on (like every 3 years or so).  It will bring the Unisaw to its knees if I run stock through too fast.  The rest of the time its in the way so I send it to the corner.  Try lifting a 140 pound 1 HP off the mount to get it out of the way.

I never saw a need for a 4 wheel feeder and always had 3 wheels.  Did you know that on most of them you can double the wheels like they do rear wheels on farm tractors?

Stock wheels are junk and get worse when they get a glaze.  They can be improved or reconditioned by taking them off and sanding cross ways on a belt sander using the coarsest belt you can get.  The real answer is getting new tires from Western Roller made out of polyurethane.  The can be ordered from soft to hard.

I'm thinking all of these feeders are being made by Co-Matic in the same factory and painted different colors.  Due diligence before picking a color to buy.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

firefighter ontheside

I made all of the flooring for my bedroom with a 1hp shaper and the Grizzly Baby 1/8hp feeder.  It worked very well.  I bought both just to make the flooring.  I kept both for a while and did not use them for 6 months, so I sold them together.  Originally I thought I might use the feeder on the TS, but I never did.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

low_48

I thought those baby feeders were hard to keep tight on wood with that ball and socket tightener. Not the case?

Tom K

I would agree with Larry's thoughts. You really need to size the power feed to the machine. Both too big or too small can cause issues, or not be optimal.

If you are buying used make sure to look at wheel condition. I also have a 1/4 hp power feed on a 3hp Delta shaper, I really haven't used it because the wheel are too hard to grip right. I really need to buy some new wheels for it.

firefighter ontheside

I didnt have any problem with it staying tight.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

trimguy

Well, maybe a 1/4 hp would be big enough for me. I definitely would like the lighter one for switching between machines. I have two shapers, one is a light duty 1/2 hp delta and the other is heavier, I would guess 3 hp. I plan on doing some tongue and groove flooring and some tongue and groove, V groove. This would be for personal use. Do you guys think that the quarter horsepower would be large enough for the situation ?

YellowHammer

The weight of the feeder isn't all bad, it keeps some of the stress off the table saw and improves the grip.  You can see how that works when the board exit and the feeder drops.  This is on a 5hp table saw.  Look how fast it feeds, ripping theses boards.  It is HEAVY, but the weight is used to help get traction.  Also, the feeder is set to very gently press the board against the table saw fence, and the fence has to be stronger than the feeder.  For that matter, the saw has to be stronger than the feeder.  

Hobby Hardwood Alabama Powermatic Power Feed - YouTube

Here is me making "H" style stickers, running a 5/8" wide x 3/8" deep dado blade.

How to Make Profiled Lumber Dryings Sticks (Stickers) - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Larry

That's accounts for most of my use of the feeder on the tablesaw.  I agree that the weight of a 1 HP is helpful when used in that application.

I do it all on the shaper now, just because the feeder stays mounted all the time on that machine.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

trimguy

Thank you everybody for responding. I am leaning towards the 1/4 hp because I think it would be a better size for my shapers. I understand how the extra weight could help with the tablesaw application though.@boonesyard , you were happy with a Powermatic feeder why change brands? The brushless motor that uses less power is attractive, is there another reason?

boonesyard

The 1/4 hp will work great in your application. The Powermatic works perfect and wouldn't hesitate to buy again. I don't rip much wide stock on my table saw, maybe up to 18", but I cut a fair amount of heavy stock over 1". My thought going with the larger Comatic:
 - heavier for more traction like YH and Larry mentioned
 - brushless is attractive
 - infinite speed adjustment with digital control could be handy for heavy stock
 - shouldn't have to remove it from the table saw the way we operate, so weight should only be a plus
 - Power option for 110vlt
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

alan gage

I went through this a couple years ago. Lots of mental anguish trying to decide on what size, what brand, and how many wheels.

Ended up with a Comatic DC30 (3 wheels) and have been very happy with it. I switch it between the shaper and table saw. I like it on the saw more than I thought it would.

I'd recommend buying softer wheels than what comes standard on most shapers. I suppose they don't last as long but for as much as I use it that won't be an issue. They have a lot better grip.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

trimguy

Thanks everyone, I got the Powermatic 1/4 hp order last night. We will see when it gets here.

trimguy

The power feeder came in last Thursday, I didn't get a chance to open it until I got back from the Project. I used it on the tablesaw, a big difference compared to hand feeding. A little bit of a learning curve, I guess cause I've never used one before. then I set it up on the shaper to do the groove side.

Doing The grooves those chips packed in the groove, some boards kind of tight, some boards not so tight.

The grooves turned out good. But,Is this normal, or is it a sign of a problem? Feed speed too fast, too small of a dust collector?

Tom K

I can't say that I've had that issue, but I'm usually cutting stiles & rails.

How big is your dust collector? Are you climb cutting these?

trimguy

My dust collector is from harbor freight, 2 hp ? 
 Yes I'm climb cutting.

Tom K

I would think that would be normal with climb cutting. The only way I can think of to get rid of that off the top of my head would be making 2 passes with the second on being light enough the chips wont lodge. One of the smarter fellows on here might have a better idea.

DDW_OR

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 30, 2023, 08:07:32 AM
Here is me making "H" style stickers, running a 5/8" wide x 3/8" deep dado blade.
are the "H" style stickers better than regular stickers.
"let the machines do the work"

YellowHammer

Yes, considerably.  About 50% less chance of sticker stain, and easy to make.  
YellowHammerisms:

trimguy

Thanks Tom. Robert, I'm guessing you don't have any problem with the thinner edges collapsing under weight in a stack or you would do something different ??

YellowHammer

No, I've never had that happen. 
YellowHammerisms:

maineshops

I built one awhile back for my router table. Used a small gearbox turned some wooden wheels and put bicycle inner tubed on them for friction. Works like a charm . Dan
Phil:4, 13

neverstopbuildn

I can add a vote for a comatic DC. I have the 4 wheel. it is handy to quickly set the feed rate depending on material and cutter. A must have for a shaper IMO if you are running a lot of stock, it's also a big safety upgrade.
What is to be done next?

Thank You Sponsors!