iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Concrete Kiln Pad

Started by firefighter ontheside, May 07, 2023, 10:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

We've been doing shipper tag over a neighbors dust collector that he has had supposedly coming for a week. I finally had to go get the loader back yesterday and have them deliver the box it to the building supply. I'm not in the loop but how can you miss by a week? (somebody lost something  :D). It's another one, I doubt it weighs 200 lbs but it is a big box.

firefighter ontheside

I ended up meeting the delivery truck in town in a parking lot.  I back up behind his truck and he was able to just lower his lift gate right down on my flatbed and roll it onto my truck.  Worked great for both of us.  His tractor trailer would not have done well on my road.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jpassardi

FFOTS: Bear in mind - the used flat roof insulation isn't necessarily closed cell and can take on water. Because of this it may not be the best choice for under slab due to groundwater & condensation.
Congrats on the new Nyle unit. I'm interested to see how you like it.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna use any of those panels that I posted.  It's tempting, but I'm going to pretty well follow the Nyle plan with 2" poly iso foam.  Also, I've give up the idea of building on a slab.  I will likely hang floor joists off of my current kiln/shed and then make some piers to carry the other end of 2x10x8 joists.  I will sheet the bottom of the floor with something...not sure what yet.  I will cut foam to fit in between joists and then 3/4" plywood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jpassardi

Just thinking: if you laid your floor joists 90 degrees to the long door opening, you could set casters (on top of the plywood) directly above the joists and roll in the stack after bringing it in with forks. Those joists would need to be well supported, maybe worth doubling them also.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

firefighter ontheside

My joists will definitely be running that direction.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TBrown99

Are recommended r-values for ceiling, walls, & floor in the NE noted anywhere?

Quote from: K-Guy on May 08, 2023, 08:49:24 AM

The floor can be done the same way as an insulated garage floor. Be careful to only insulate to R25 or so in the walls. There is a trade off to be made in the northern states, not enough for the winter or too much for the summer.

beenthere

NE meaning Nebraska, or northeast US ?

Your location in your profile would help with answers.   ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

K-Guy

The R-values are not in the manual but it gives the amount and type of insulation to use. For the floor you want a standard insulated pad. L53 manual link below.

https://www.nyledrykilns.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/NDK-L53-Manual-Rev-2023.02.pdf
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!