iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar powered heater in a solar kiln?

Started by Daburner87, May 11, 2023, 11:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daburner87

When it comes to some of this technical stuff I'm a bit clueless.  Never used solar power before, but I'm looking to build my kiln this year and I see a lot of people complain it doesn't get hot enough.  So what if I add a solar powered heater inside?  I think it needs to hit 140 degrees in order to kill some of the bugs and whatnot, so what is a way to help boost the temps in the solar kiln without causing a fire?
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Daburner87

Also for that matter, what is the cost to just run an extension cord to my kiln and put fans on a timer?  My kiln won't be too far from my house, a 100ft extension cord would work.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Ianab

You need the fans to circulate the warm air in the kiln, no matter what the temperature. The power the fans need is low enough that  you can run them off a solar panel, they only really need to spin when the sun is shining. The fans might only need ~100 watts of power, so no big deal to power them via solar. 

Heating, up to sterilise temps at least, is problematic. That takes a LOT of energy. As in thousands of watts of heating. It might be practical to add mains electric heating to a solar kiln, it only needs to boost the temp for under a day at the end of the cycle, and you fit a thermostat that limits the temp to ~145F so things don't melt or catch fire. 

Other option might be a separate sterilising chamber that could be super insulated, but that would mean extra handling. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

What do you mean by a solar heater?  I imagine you could do any other type of solar collectors such as black pipes with air being drawn thru.  Still not sure you're gonna get to the temp needed for sanitizing at least not on a regular basis when the temp outside is cool.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Daburner87

Im trying to figure out how to add more heat because my location is somewhat problematic.  Im worried my kiln wont get enough hours in the sun.  So im trying to think of alternative ways to add heat.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Thank You Sponsors!