iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar, is it green or dry?

Started by Bnew17, May 31, 2023, 08:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnew17

I have a standing poplar tree that is in a creek bottom. Tree is about 22" in diameter. It appears a storm took the top part of the tree off at some point leaving it about 12' tall now. There is a shoot coming off the sheared portion that is about 6" in diameter and 12-15' tall. Would the original trunk still be green or would it be dry? I don't know how long it has been since the tree has been sheared off but it would have to be years.

Southside

Is the 6" shoot alive?  The blown out top often will leave rotted / hollow wood inside of the tree where water was allowed to get in.  The tree might be alive, but it might only be a ring of good fiber, especially in Poplar. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bnew17

The shoot is alive. I will try to get a picture. The part that was sheared off was grey in color and the base of the trunk still seemed very solid when i hit it with the machete.

beenthere

Consider it green. Don't count on it being dry.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

Wood that is touching the ground, or touching something sprouting from the ground, may be "drier" than the surrounding green wood, but will not be "dry" and should be handled as if it was green, even though it may not be sap dripping green.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tmbrcruiser

A few months ago a tornado went thru the back of my farm and flattened 8 or 9 acres of big timber. At this time my neighbor and I have a logging crew salvaging the timber. I picked up an order for 4/4" x 12" poplar lumber, went to the area being cut and picked out several nice logs. I came across a tree ( 26" dbh & 32' ) that didn't blow over because the top had been broken out several years earlier, when I cut the tree it was sound and like your tree had a growing limb. So I would try to salvage it.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Thank You Sponsors!