iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Ehp. I've got 1/2 inch cable on the winch. That's why I wanted to get a couple of the skidders I was looking at. Back at it!! Tuesday is coming pretty fast and the landing needs to come together pretty fast with the one man show and Diesel as the supervisor 

nativewolf

Well get to it.  Walnut do not regenerate under walnut.  Stands grow in size but not under each other.  In a real floodplain that floods regularly it might happen if  there is a pocket of sun but mostly what you are seeing is normal.  Too poisonous to germinate under itself.  
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

Just so others know, I tried the ½ cable on my 3 pt winch. It did not stay tight on the drum when released. It would get caught in the chain. 
The newer models are more enclosed around the drum.
I went back to 3/8 and it works the way it should.
I hauled out a lot of pine over 3 feet across on a 3/8 cable.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

WB all you need is 1 half good  skidder , does not need to be fancy cause fancy does not pay the bills , How many walnut do you have to cut ? If a lot then find a skidder 

Firewoodjoe

I just seen this. First time I've seen a really good video of a harvester notching and felling a large tree. Makes me kinda want a dangle head. I do t know if I'm doing this right or even allowed but I'll try to copy the web page. 😆
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0u052sYvvzM

It's at 3:50 if you want to skip 

I just double cut but no face notch. 

Walnut Beast

Definitely respect you guys doing this all the time. You definitely got that right on the skidder. No more jacking around with trees on the other side of the creek! For now! The long pulls were a bearcat and using the snatch block to get around trees, dozing piles of dirt and up and down the banks non stop had me wishing for a big boy skidder with some serious line speed. 

I would take any of you guys doing this all the time to have my back. Haven't made it to the gym since I've been busy working this walnut so I though I would do some bicep curls at home and definitely didn't loose any strength. Grabbed a couple 55 dumbells and went to town. 

Firewoodjoe

Too poisonous to germinate under itself.  

So poisonous it kills its young. Wow. Never would have thought that. 

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 21, 2023, 08:24:31 PM
I just seen this. First time I've seen a really good video of a harvester notching and felling a large tree. Makes me kinda want a dangle head. I do t know if I'm doing this right or even allowed but I'll try to copy the web page. 😆
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0u052sYvvzM

It's at 3:50 if you want to skip

I just double cut but no face notch.
You can put a face in with the Fabtek heads we use to do it tilt your head back a little and saw out a humboldt.

barbender

They are definitely doing things different from how we do them. They toss all of the slash to the side, when you can see the ground is softer than heck. Mud on the tracks, about halfway through you can see the next strip over has ruts with standing water in them.  

Smaller saplings and brush we just grab with the head, and tilt it. They just pull up by the roots. 

That guy looks like a pretty green operator, lots of broken stems when he is bucking logs. 

I think that is a Logmax head, it looks like it has good limbing power.

That looks like some type of white oak they are cutting maybe?
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Put notches is many of the log trees with the dangle head. On the Ponsses with the ability to tilt and lock the head at an angle makes the top cut of the notch easy. Also handy for cutting off root flare.

Hogdaddy

Yeah, I was wondering what type trees?? I thought the first he cut was maybe an ash, with some of the others being maybe white oak? 
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Firewoodjoe

He said in his comments a log max 7000. The video description says s172 which is a komatsu head. Maybe they're the same like Deere and waratah. Yeah I noticed all the bad to @barbender but that face notch went about flawlessly as it could. IMO. I was thinking a type of white oak also. Can't tell real well. 

Clark

Quote from: barbender on May 20, 2023, 06:11:02 PM
Our local pallet operation does good business in pulling grade off of "pallet" logs. Because of our limited hardwood market, they tend to end up with everything. A lot of beautiful grade logs go in there for want of anywhere else to send them, and the guys running the pallet operation aren't stupid.

I always wondered if they did that!

Several years back I was talking to a small mill owner in Meadowlands. He said he wanted some better birch to cut so he talked to a logger who said he could supply him with a load. When they load arrived the driver said he was flagged down by a veneer buyer who said he would buy the whole thing. Could be a bit of a stretch on the details but I don't doubt the dominance of the pulp market to erase any thought of logs and veneer from most loggers.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 22, 2023, 05:33:59 AM
He said in his comments a log max 7000. The video description says s172 which is a komatsu head. Maybe they're the same like Deere and waratah. Yeah I noticed all the bad to @barbender but that face notch went about flawlessly as it could. IMO. I was thinking a type of white oak also. Can't tell real well.
They own Logmax just like quadco and Southstar.

barbender

Clark, there are definitely buyers for veneer and grade out there if one puts in the work of tracking them down. Most production outfits don't want to mess with grading and sorting. Getting them to sort pallet logs is enough of a challenge🤷

Joe, that was a good face notch, I'll give him that much👍
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Man in junky field walnut you can cut all day but by the time you clean up the fields you are lucky to get a load a day out.  

Just doing my part to contribute to this thread because the logs sure are not centerfold worthy
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

I meant to add only averaging 50 bdft a log
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

No winching 150' across a creek today. No thanks with a one man show. The beast with the log arch works incredible. Back into a tight area  hook a choker or chain tight and hook up winch in and skid out. The tandem of that and moving big logs in the front is working pretty slick 

ehp

Walnut Beast

They are coming but the big ones like to really doze the dirt

Andries

Man, that is some serious trenching going on.
Must be hard on equipment and on you, great looking walnut logs though!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

You try that on mine land and I would be saying, but the big ones really doze the rocks.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

WB , even with a skidder they dozer the ground pretty bad, big trees are heavy  and I got my arch at the lowest point so I can keep my front tires on the ground , The stuff I'm cutting right now plows up the hills 

ehp

But if you talk to Barg and buy one of those big fancy Tigercats like he has they will pull more and have a radio, air and heat BUT may cost you a touch more coin  ;D

doc henderson

Remember the burl?  got to take it down today.  did ok but was lacking energy today, but got it done with no damage to person, equipment or home.

windowmaker hanging on a hinge from the catalpa, and on the tree next door.

i bumped the bark with the loader as i cut some branches on the back of the trunk.  I knocked the bark bra off the tree!!! :o :o :o

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!