iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

The trees/logs and didn't average 20' and 20". The first log wouldn't measure 20" at 20' on a 26" DBH tree..

Peter Drouin

The only one making out on the Doyle scale. is the buyer. ::)
Old saying, Liars can figure, But, figures don't lie.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Walnut Beast

Many things were definitely learned. But I can tell you this out of the 17 trees I picked for size, straightness, least defects and double and triple 8'6" minimum lengths. The four smallest ones were around 20" and had triples of  8'6" + and longer in all four. Every other log measured in the high seventy's and eighty's circumference and every tree had minimum double 8'6" length and longer out of each tree with one or two triple length besides the four long ones 

nativewolf

We all saw them WB..they were beautiful trees.  The good here is you know where there are more just like them.  The good here is you can get them down.  You just need timing and a skidder and you're in business.  10k is not a high costs to learn how to be a logger.  Not high at all.  Next time you can post closer photos.  Work lengths very carefully.  Call any of us to get tips on where and how to cut.  You'll have the right size log savers before hand.  You'll do well.  I bet some neighbors have some to cut as well.  Get on the county GIS site and look at the neighbors creek bottoms and see if some have stands that look like yours on the GIS site.  Good place to start.
Liking Walnut

stavebuyer

Expensive lesson? Very well could be. Standing timber is measured at DBH(diameter breast height) which is an outside the bark measurement. All log measurements are made inside the bark and that number should be an average of the narrow and wide measurements as few logs are actually truly round. Heavy barked trees like mature Walnut can have 2-4 inches of bark if you include both sides of the bark which a circumference measurement would necessarily include. 

I would like to say that I will be first in line to give you tips to help you maximize the value of your logs. I will also repeat that several pages back I didn't discount that the logs may have been under-valued. Seeing the truck loaded and knowing what interstate legal Doyle loads weigh and scale, I have serious doubts there was any major shorting of the footage estimate.

Next I will repeat that I have never been able to achieve satisfactory veneer sales average in the summer months. What was a $5 per foot log last week is lucky to bring $2 a foot in June July August. So that price quote you got when you started cutting or the log sale in Iowa in April have little bearing on a sale this week. Thats just the way it works. 

Lastly you aren't some helpless widow begging for help. You were free to decline and or negotiate any offer made. As a rule unless it is an advertised bid sale with a set time and place to open bids few if any buyers will leave an open offer. The reason is people take that offer and tell buyer B that is the figure it takes to buy the logs. So, when I leave either you sign the sales contract or you take your chances with the next guy because my offer leaves with me.

If the ASV dealer tells you the list on that new CTL you are drooling over doesn't mean that you can't make an offer or that he is a scumbag for starting the negotiating at favorable price point for him.

ehp

Just my thoughts for what there worth WB which could not be much , first that scale was light but no where as light as lots think , 4500 feet on dolye scale is a bigger load than that but where I know you got hit quite hard was on the grade . One thing you should know is on your longer logs that you double or tripled the logs into 1 log unless you have a deal where they scale them the proper way for taper you are going to loose alot of footage on the scale cause if log is 24 ft long which 12 inch top that is what you get paid for but the first 8 ft log could be 20 inch in diameter and second log has 16 inch diameter but your only getting paid for 12 inch top Unless you get a higher price per thousand cut your logs shorter cause you gain on the scale and stuff with alot of taper you gain alot on scale , Just like here if I'm cutting up red or black oak and have a tree I can get 3 that are 12ft 6 inches long to make timbers or cut 2 logs 18 ft 6 inches long unless they pay me more for the longer logs I'm going to cut the 3 at 12 ft 6 inches cause I gain on the scale . Was your check light on cash, Yes without a question it was light and that is where you lost the money is on grade , No question your walnut is better than mine here , Way better color and small sap ring , my walnut is to light in color cause it grows on light color sand but I have cut just a single tree and got more for that than you did for that whole load . Another thing is never cut good timber in the heat as you will loose everytime , yes I know you had to cut it but remember that for the next 500 big walnut your going to cut and make all of our mouths water just looking at that high grade stuff

so il logger

Warm one out here today. Cutting some junk

ehp

yes it was , I know my fat backside  was sweating by 9 am pretty good , almost done this bush , about 2 or maybe 3 loads left to cut , sent 5 loads already this week so things are going along fine

dustintheblood

30C / 86F today up in the sun.  Fun misery in the heat right over powerlines.  Riding the crane ball up is always a blast 

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

What a month. Blown engine, two flat tires. All the weak hoses in this heat. I'm over it.

These machines are so dependent on the wood when it comes to production. 18" plus oak 4 sorts to 12" minus aspen with two sorts triples my production. Cut this pile in 1 hour. Got out and kinda paced it off. 11-12 cord. That's surprisingly awesome to me!

Little slippery for the forwarder though😂

ehp

I wished we had a place to send the low grade junk cause here you just buck the tree off at the end of pallet or tie making logs , forget about firewood logs here as I have seen me burn the log pile of them because no one would even take them free

Firewoodjoe

If it keeps going we will loose half our markets. May already have just don't see it yet. Not good. Woods moving but the big guys have got cut way back.

ehp

It's sad to see but about the same everywhere 

cutterboy

Today I cut an ash tree. This is the start of my summer ash harvest. I'm trying to stay ahead of the emerald ash borer who has infected the ash in my woods. Last summer I cut a lot of ash for lumber and firewood.

The tree fell into the tractor path which is where I wanted it because the path is the only place around that is clear. Both sides of it are thick with vines and brush. But of course to get back to the tractor I had to cut the vines and the branches away.

The top part of the stem was pretty rough. I couldn't even see that part of the tree from the ground because of the vines. It will make good firewood and anyway the bottom 25 feet looks pretty good.

I decided to try to skid the bottom section of tree up to the barn yard where I could work on it more easily. I was only worried about one short steep hill the tractor had to climb. It pulled the tree up it no problem.

Here I had plenty of room to cut it into logs and stack them on 4x4s up by the barn.

That's enough for me today. Now it's time for a drink and smell the roast pork cooking in the oven for tonight's dinner. ;D

Keep on cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

BAN

thecfarm

First skidder?
Just for your own use?
Does look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BAN

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2023, 06:54:34 AM
First skidder?
Just for your own use?
Does look good.
No we already have 2 Clark's. Just use as a spare but to good of a deal to pass up.

BargeMonkey

Spent the summertime cutting up logs for the winter... trying like the devil to find the lord... working like a... 😆...  got 1wk off, be back in 3 and actually hammer a woodlot. 

Bought 40-50 trailer load off a clearing job up Galway the end of August, plus what wood I've got to cut, won't take much to fill yards. Finish up 1 of the 7 clearings on this job, 5.25 acres on this one. 

Rockhound behind a skidsteer is the only way to do it. 

Finally run that mill some. Nice HP, got a couple quirks but all and all it puts wood out. 

ehp

Looks Great Barge , does everything you touch turn to Gold 

PoginyHill

Quote from: cutterboy on June 03, 2023, 05:18:14 PM
Today I cut an ash tree. This is the start of my summer ash harvest. I'm trying to stay ahead of the emerald ash borer who has infected the ash in my woods. Last summer I cut a lot of ash for lumber and firewood.

The tree fell into the tractor path which is where I wanted it because the path is the only place around that is clear. Both sides of it are thick with vines and brush. But of course to get back to the tractor I had to cut the vines and the branches away.

The top part of the stem was pretty rough. I couldn't even see that part of the tree from the ground because of the vines. It will make good firewood and anyway the bottom 25 feet looks pretty good.

I decided to try to skid the bottom section of tree up to the barn yard where I could work on it more easily. I was only worried about one short steep hill the tractor had to climb. It pulled the tree up it no problem.

Here I had plenty of room to cut it into logs and stack them on 4x4s up by the barn.

That's enough for me today. Now it's time for a drink and smell the roast pork cooking in the oven for tonight's dinner. ;D

Keep on cutting.....Cutter
I don't see any heartwood in that ash. Unless the camera is playing tricks on me.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

BargeMonkey

I can show you how to go broke cutting wood Ed it's very easy. I'm at the point now if it doesn't pay well I don't wanna be bothered. 

ehp

Then you need me to come down and show you how not to go broke . I'm not saying that in any ways I make money but if I come you may have a big red light outside your house but you will be making money lol

ehp

Before the bore killed most of the ash here it was like that with ko heartwood but at this time of year it would check so bad and fast you just did not cut it. Most will split into 3 pieces in zero time as no knots or defects to keep it together.  We would measure the lengths out and cut the logs as long as the truck would hold then they would cut logs to length at yhe mill when they were ready for them pretty much that minute

ehp

Ban.   What year and size. Cannot see the picture well enough to tell. I still say the Clark's are the best skidder made but certain styles and years were alot better than others

Thank You Sponsors!