iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Cooker Cookin

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2019, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

HM126

SupFellers

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 01, 2019, 08:44:46 AMI use a old style pressure cooker quite a bit I actually have 3. Been mulling over a insta pot.

I've always been a little scared of the ones you have to vent yourself. I blame the horrific pictures you can find on google when pressure cookers explode and your whole stove setup goes with it.   

We have a regular old InstaPot, Pioneer Woman version because *naturally* it HAD to match my camper-kitchen decor :D

Michael has been making yogurt in there! He's trying to heal me with food which has been quite an adventure. COV19 destroyed my love of food and I've been living off yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits, veggies and nuts. 

I wish instead of being turned against meat, onions and coffee the Good Lord could have made me opposed to Lil Debbies and junk food :/ but I digress...

My favorite things to make in the IP are-- 

Spaghetti Squash: 
- gather up all your strength and cut length-wise (you'll have 2 canoes, as Mike says)
- drizzle with oil of choice (I use olive or avocado oil)
- sprinkle generously with salt and pepper
- prop standing up on the rack
- 20 minutes on max pressure

Falls right out and makes a great, filling meal. Sure beats an hour in the oven at 425, unless we need to heat the camper :)

Boston Butt, too... back when meat didn't make me want to hurl. I miss bacon and steak :(
Thank you Lord, for Your blessings on me.

Al_Smith

A couple of pressure cooker mishaps .My dearly departed blew the weight off one which flew though the kitchen ceiling .They never did find it .
My grandfather married his second wife who was a great jelly maker ,She likewise blew the weight and painted the entire kitchen with purple from the wild grapes within .Took a good scrub down and two coats of paint to cover it up .Besides not being a fan of grits I also have jelly in that category . 

sawguy21

:D My mom was a wizard with a pressure cooker, she could make a gourmet meal out of the toughest beef.  We couldn't get enough of her beef stew.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Tammy and I had a grape wine explosion in our first little house, when the rubber glove I was using instead of a bubbler, blew off. Luckily the baby wasn't in there or we would have had to change his name to oompa loompa.  We washed and painted with killzit and even after the 3rd coat of paint, the grPe sill bled through. Old lath and plaster.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Speaking of home made wine .Any number of ways have been experimented with over the years for a gas check valve .One most likely still used is a hose in a mason jar full of water for a bubbler .The most amusing I've ever heard of was a condom .Dang thing would blow up the size of a basketball .
I tried a few times with home vinting but gave it up for a lost cause .One thing I could never figure out .Dead of winter but where in the world did all those fruit flies come from ? ???

doc henderson

Al, I would assume the spermicide would give an off flavor!   :o :o :o.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

I started a batch of Gamay wine yesterday. I use a 12 gallon plastic barrel as my primary, then siphon into a secondary with a rubber bung having a bubbler type of air lock on it. They are dirt cheap and secure your batch from becoming bad via flies or bacteria. One 6 gallon jug is glass, my new one is plastic and similar to water jugs. They use two different sizes of bung but plastics much lighter. two jugs allows racking the wine for clarity. Clarified wine is better to drink and stores better too.
Seems odd to me that so many of the kif wine companies are based in Canada? Perhaps the AU/NZ/Euro grape juices are sourced "in family"?
My wife uses a pressure cooker mostly for a roast only. We do use a crock pot for a few things, not many. Limited counter space for cookers as shown but does seem like a good tool in the kitchen.
Brussel sprouts I always liked but now as they are available year-round unlike in my childhood when many fresh items were not, we and others eat them often. The best way to eat them IMO, of course is to stay with smaller sprouts, avoiding the big boys as they get less flavorful and more tough. The cooking that best enhances the flavor is to cut them into halves, stir fry in olive oil while carefully laying them on the cut face so as to brown them well. Far better than the boiled version of my childhood!!!, they don't take on that off-taste they can have when done this way.    
Doc-you can be a nasty boy... :D I use crushed Camden tabs as my sterilizer against wild yeast, etc.. Potassium or sodium metabisulphate in common use by amateurs like me. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

medical humor, that was the nicest comment that came to mind.   :)
the plastic air locks are cheap as well.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

Just to say I never used those over sized balloons for wine making ,just a bubbler .Now those pressure cookers .Years ago we used one in the altitudes of the rocky mountains in Colorado because the boiling point was so low it would take all day otherwise to get some of those roasts cooked .That plus on occasion a blue grouse which are some tough old birds if not used ,about like the sole of a work shoe tough .Dumbest bird I've ever seen .Kind of on the subject I'm just about to do a nice beef roast in a slow cooker .About 6 hours should do it nicely .

Texas Ranger

I have made mayhaw wine that was exceptional
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I remember a friend of dads brewing beer in the basement, he capped one batch too soon. Apparently it sounded like an artillery barrage at 3 am, the missus put a stop to any further attempts. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

too much carbonating sugar!  :)  smiley_beertoast

Al_Smith

My mother used to talk about home made root beer during the 40's on the farm .It had enough fizz it would blow the caps off or explode the bottle .Some of that so called "craft beer " is some nasty stuff they sell for premium prices .I for one don't know why they brag it up .Evidently they don't like beer .

Raider Bill

I quit drinking beer several years ago.
Switched to ale.
Pleasing to my taste buds. 😋
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Our explosion resulted from a latex ballon of some kind. I do know, itwernt a condom.

wisconsitom

@Al_Smith  I take it then that like me, your idea of drinking a nice cold one has nothing to do with taking a gulp of turpentine😆.

Same here.  I always say, take some water, some malted barley and perhaps other grains, add yeast and a little hops, and you end up with something very good, called.....beer!

Lots of micros are very adept at missing this ratio completely.

I also like coffee, chocolate, blueberries, uh...lots of flavors, but prefer beer to taste like beer, of all things.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Al_Smith

I think that crafty stuff came along about the time local wineries took rise .Funny thing about the tavern laws in Ohio is unless I'm mistaken is they can only offer something considered to be classified as so called "craft " beers .Some are  okay and some are hog slop . The wines are okay but I'm not a big consumer ,the ladies seem to be fond of them though .My my what a difference 50 years makes .They went from  tea totaling stuck up prudes to wine experts in half a century .However at the same time developed into very classy ladies ,wine or no wine . :)

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on March 09, 2022, 12:06:17 PM
medical humor, that was the nicest comment that came to mind.   :)
the plastic air locks are cheap as well.  
I have several, all plastic with rubber bungs. 

kantuckid

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 10, 2022, 10:29:57 AM
I think that crafty stuff came along about the time local wineries took rise .Funny thing about the tavern laws in Ohio is unless I'm mistaken is they can only offer something considered to be classified as so called "craft " beers .Some are  okay and some are hog slop . The wines are okay but I'm not a big consumer ,the ladies seem to be fond of them though .My my what a difference 50 years makes .They went from  tea totaling stuck up prudes to wine experts in half a century .However at the same time developed into very classy ladies ,wine or no wine . :)
1970's is when hobby wine making took off in USA. I worked in supermarkets for some years back in the 60's. We sold lots of Blue Ribbon Malt by the can to old ladies who brewed at home was long before current craft beer frenzy. I have all the items to brew beer but stick with wine and buy Mexican store beer. Heart disease meds dictate that I not drink alcohol, so I cheat by a limit of one daily when hot enough for beer or beer/wine goes with the meal at hand. My Gamay kit wine is being augmented with a wine makers concentrated red grape juice bought in one liter bags. Makes kit wine more palatable. 
I've made wine from actual fruits/grapes etc., never tasted Mayhaw wine. One of the best I ever made was from marionberries-a type of tame blackberry. Concord grape wine has an aftertaste that even large commercial wineries have a tough time getting rid of. The guys in IN do that one best-Taylos I think?
I have a White Zinfandel kit to make next and it will get 1/2 the grape concentrate from the freezer bag. OH has several of the main brewing/wine sellers. I only make wines with enough alcohol %^ to be storable over some years. Some wine makers I read online must be wineos? They make it all the time. 26 btl batches from 5-6 gallon kits! 
Google to see how much wine the Puritans brought on the boat from Europe? If you guessed over 10,000 gallons you got it. They also brought 3 times as much beer as water on same boat. Tell that one in a bar...

Jeff

Smart move, and it had everytging to do with the chance of not having potable water. The beer could be trusted 

kantuckid

Same for most everyone back then at sea or backwoods folks. Cider served the same purpose, apple jack maybe even better? :D 
I threw some dried MI cherries from Meijers into my Gamay wine ferment along with some dried cranberries from Walmart. 
Experimentation on the fly. 
Back to toilet repair-what fun it is... ::)

Al_Smith

Rumor has it the Pilgrims stopped at Plymouth rock looking for a carry out because they ran out of beer .Of course there weren't any but they found some friendly locals that made their own beer .

SwampDonkey

Mother had one of them pressure cookers back in the 70's, early eighties. I've not seen it around for at least 30 years. Everyone had them back in the day here. I don't remember any kitchen incidents though. I remember my mother was real attentive using it, kept a watchful eye. We use a slow cooker here, for a roast of beef, the meat just falls away, you could eat it without teeth. And of course we cook baked beans and ribs. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

pressure cooker was the microwave of the day.  

Thank You Sponsors!