iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Cooker Cookin

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2019, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I suppose you could tame it down with some creative Cajun  style stuff .A lot of it is the deer's diet .The high timber muleys eat pine needles and sage brush .The northern Ohio white tail eat soybeans and alfalfa and acorns . The southern Ohio have a mix but don't eat sage brush because there is none. Although I've got a picture last year of a yearling eating new growth from one of my pine trees about 50 feet right outside my kitchen .

Then the hunt is during the rut and they are hyped up on testosterone  and adrenaline so you have to deal with that .If nothing else mix a little pork with it and it makes dandy summer sausage .

AZ_builder

Field care, cooling, and aging help a lot with a strong gamey taste. Also boneless meat and not eating meat near the bone helps. If it's still gamey then I'll soak it in milk or salt water for a few hours. It will draw out some blood that causes the gamey taste.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with AZ builder on prep. If you took a grain fed yearling beef, shot him, hauled him around on on the hood of your car on in the back of your pick up and showed him off for a couple of days, hung him up and finally got around to gutting, skinning and butchering him a few days later like lots of people do with their deer, that beef would probably taste gamey too.

Of course most of mine are killed about a 5-10 minute 4 wheeler ride from my home so 30-40 minutes after I shoot one it is on the skinning rack. I don't field dress them because it is not that far away from my skinning rack and easier to skin them intact. If the weather permits, and I keep that in mind when I hunt, I let them hang overnight to chill which makes them easier to cut up and the next day I bone them out/butcher them and package them for the freezer. Except for the neck and shoulder roasts I de-bone everything else. If its below freezing when I skin one I hang them in my log barn where it is above freezing. if above about 40 degrees at night I either don't hunt or quarter and put them in my spare reefer downstairs - more often than not I just don't hunt if its warm. When we cook them we really don't do anything different than we would with the same cut of beef. We use a lot of Cream of Mushroom soup as base or gravy in roasts or for Swiss steak.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Red beans and rice. Pork sausage, polish sausage, sweet peppers and sweet onions and shrimp.

First time for rice in this for me. Never rinced rice before, but I did for this to get rid of the starch.  Easy to rinse. Didn't know.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

luvmexfood

Cajun Soup
One chicken breast shredded. Cooked three w/skin and bones to get stock. While chicken was cooking boiled 1/2 # of shrimp, shelled them and put shells back in water and reduced to make a stock.
Put one chicken breast, spices, polish sausage, okra, 2 pint cans tomatoes with peppers, pint can of red beans rinsed, two cups chicken broth and one cup shrimp broth and pressured for about 15 minutes. Threw in some minute rice and let set. Then added shrimp. YUM and freezes well.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

AZ_builder

I could imagine a world where rice was never in existence. But that dish makes me want to have rice! I'm the only one in the family who just doesn't care for rice.

btulloh

Decided to give this Instant Pot thing a try.  Showing up today.  Is this a passing fad or do y'all find it to be a good thing overall after the initial honeymoon period?  I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.
HM126

Raider Bill

Quote from: btulloh on October 15, 2019, 08:23:20 AM
Decided to give this Instant Pot thing a try.  Showing up today.  Is this a passing fad or do y'all find it to be a good thing overall after the initial honeymoon period?  I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.
I'm curious about them too.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moosehunter

I like ours. At a st Paddy's day party I cooked two large corned venison roasts. Cooked one in time for the party, cooked the second one while everyone was enjoying the first, second one was done by the time the first one was eaten.

mg
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Im using ours for a roast and potatoes and carrots today. I use it at least  once a week, if for nothing more than to cook rice.

btulloh

Just got notified it's onlytwo stops away. Pot roast and such sounds like a good thing for the maiden voyage. 
HM126

Don P

Curious what you think of it, we tried it and passed it on. For meat I prefer the slow cooker. We were talking and I betcha the next generation will have better controls to let you tune it better.

doc henderson

my wife got all the gadgets and did not get the hang of it.  always had to cook longer.  she likes a crock pot and a pressure cooker.  we gave our to the next person who wanted to try it.  if interested, ask a round cause it is not for everyone.  My wife works hard and is a good cook.  i do not think she will ever get prison time, being confused with Martha Stewart.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

clearcut

Use ours often. Just using it to make chicken stock and other bone broths is enough for me to keep it around, though I use it once or twice a week for other meals. Ribs or chicken in a hurry, cooked through in the IP, finished on the grill. No more canned beans. It is the best way to hard-boil a batch of eggs for easy peeling. [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]I often cook a bowl of rice on top of the stock ingredients. Two for one. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]It does take some practice and there will likely be some meals that could have been better. I often set the time for less than recommended, open it up, adjust the seasoning, and then back on. It returns to pressure quickly. [/font][/font]
Carbon sequestered upon request.

btulloh

Quote from: Don P on October 15, 2019, 02:11:02 PM
Curious what you think of it, we tried it and passed it on. For meat I prefer the slow cooker. We were talking and I betcha the next generation will have better controls to let you tune it better.
Yeah, we'll see how it goes.  I may be passing this one on but I thought it was worth a try.

I like the crock pot and use one fairly often.  I'm hoping this will be as handy, but with more range.  Time will tell.  My enthusiasm for cooking is pretty low, except for the eating part.  The grill with side burners is my favorite appliance.  My four basic food groups are: Eat in, Take out, Frozen, and Canned.  (Not really - I just always liked that joke.)

This one has more controls than an LT70.  So that may be a good thing.  Or Not.  In theory, you can brown and saute right in the beast and then move right into the rest of the operation.  Theory.  Besides, this particular pot was Amazon's Choice, so how could I possible go wrong???  :D (It may be that Amazon's Choice is based on increased margin, though.)  Actually I've had luck going with their choice on some things, as long as it was my choice too.  

HM126

thecfarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRXxCDnjU4

@Jeff did not mean to ignore you way back on the first page.  :-[  Here she is with the instant pot. I have no idea how many instant pots video she has. MAINEiac grammie's homestead
I eat alot of meat out of that thing.   ;D  Cooks taters quick too,for hashbrowns.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

@thecfarm, I'm told this thing will cook your grits perfectly in 4 minutes. Of course you probably knew that from experience.  :D
HM126

Texas Ranger

Instant pot dry gumbo.  Rice, of course, chicken, sausage, shrimp, celery, onion, okra, gumbo mix.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

btulloh

You guys are making me hungry. Both of those look mighty good!

I won't be trying mine tonight. Maybe I'll just head up to Jeff's house.  :D

HM126

btulloh

Hadn't thought about gumbo. Sounds like a good thing. I wonder if the gumbo police approve though. 

I was fortunate to have eaten a lot of good gumbo back in the day. Spent a fair amount of time in Louisiana and ate a lot of good local fare. Good eats, except for the red boudin. 
HM126

thecfarm

I have a life time of grits in my pantry.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

is that a 4 oz. box,  I guess if you do not eat it, any amount is a lifetime supply!!! :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Mighty smart guy,ain't ya? ;D

doc henderson

In Albany, my best friend in residency, his mom called me fresh.  diff. meaning than we had in Ks at the time.   :) :) :) :) ;) :D

Thank You Sponsors!