iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabing chains

Started by Wysefork, June 12, 2022, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wysefork

I just purchased  a D and L sawmill recently, I was wondering where is the best place to buy slabbing chains? Thanks for any information.

scsmith42

I usually buy mine from Frawleys Saw Shop. Have purchased from Left Coast Supplies and Baileys in the past too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

terrifictimbersllc

I made mine using #16 oregon .063 harvester chain.  Start with a left or right cutter, then cut off 5 cutters in a row after that, now have the opposite side cutter, cut off 5 more etc.  same as RX chain from lucas or peterson.  Used an angle grinder with .045 cutoff wheel to cut the teeth off.  Not grinding them down.  Then grind the remaining cutters to 10 or 15 degrees as you prefer and bring the depth gauges to about .05 inches.  Need to make a long flat wood block with groove in it to measure for depth gauges with a straightedge as the cutters are about a foot apart and most bars have a curve.  It isnt hard to do and you get chains for half the price.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Wysefork

Thanks for the information guys.

Thank You Sponsors!