iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You've got to pay to play.

Started by customsawyer, June 25, 2022, 04:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkf94025

I understand the differences between flavors of cedar, and yes, the logs I have are a lot like redwood in their outdoor resistance, and I agree with the likely uses of western cedar.
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 05, 2022, 06:43:15 AM
2 weeks ago almost out of logs
Now more than I want are hitting the yard , I take them or I won't be offered to buy from them again.
Lots of orders in the yard done , not paid for or pick-up.
But you still need to pay for logs.
I hate that, we'll be going at it hard and then get any more than a week of unseasonable rain and *poof* all my local builders just disappear, I'll have orders banked up everywhere ( and a nuisance job pack takes up as much room as a full pack) and if they aren't picking it up they aren't paying for it.

Much as I like the retail margins and am keen to grow that side of the business it's often hit or miss around here. I'm doing less wholesale work now but I'm not burning any major bridges either because the wholesale guys are mostly pretty consistent and give me exposure to markets outside my local area. Building is quite seasonal here with a pronounced wet season slowdown, and subject to sugar/banana/cattle/ tourism fluctuations as well: it's awful nice to be able to load a trailer of feedstock for Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne and know there'll be cash in the bank to cover the mortgage.

I'm not one of those "cashflow is king" devotees... I'm lazy and want to do as little work as possible to sustain my lifestyle. But there's a lot to be said for the smoothing effect of a couple of regular volume buyers you can write a budget around as well.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

OlJarhead

Nice pile there Jake!

As for being busy, I agree and I don't want to mill all the time lol!  This is a crazy time.  I had to stop advertising so I could cool my heals in the summer....wait, it's summer now and I'm still milling...hmmm
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Thank You Sponsors!