iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular mill power unit

Started by Osterman.r, February 03, 2023, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handhewn

I'm recently back to running my 60" circle saw powered by a  Detroit 6-71 two-stroke. Anybody out there know what my oil pressure should be at operating speed? It starts out at 30 lbs. and down to 20 lbs. after a few hours and stays there all day.

moodnacreek

Those screamin Jimmies are notorious for low oil pressure. If the oil pressure holds after warm up I would not worry. If the engine was shot it would keep going down. The 2 stroke heats to oil very fast and  very hot compared to many 4 strokes. Are you using 40 wt. ? That is what they call for unless cold season. When those engines are hot and dropped down to an idle there may be no pressure seen on the gage so don't idle too slow.

handhewn

I am not running 40 wt. I believe I'm running 15-40. I will change this before I run it again. Thanks much. I can't wait to see the difference. It seldom gets below 25 deg. here, is that cold?

mudfarmer

handhewn I don't remember what the book says but your oil pressure is the same as a healthy one I know intimately that runs about 8hrs a day most days of the year and has stayed the same apparently for at least a decade. moodnacreek as usual is right on the money including the bit about when you drop back to idle.

handhewn

Funny thing about low RPMs with my mill, I recently found out that if I screw up and drop my RPMs while running wood through the three blade edger, I will eat four v-belts at a total of $150. Now if I do drop my RPMs, I don't drop them much.

dgdrls

Quote from: handhewn on March 12, 2023, 03:02:02 PM
I am not running 40 wt. I believe I'm running 15-40. I will change this before I run it again. Thanks much. I can't wait to see the difference. It seldom gets below 25 deg. here, is that cold?
Handhewn,  look for straight 40wt with Sulphated Ash, %wt as far below 1.0 as you can find,

Delo 100 is a very good choice for 2 stroke DD Sulphated Ash, %wt is rated at 0.8.

D

handhewn

Thanks much dgdrls, I can't wait to try it. I would really like to see the oil pressure up where it was. 1939 and still running strong.

moodnacreek

1939?  I think that was the first year they where made. Does it have 3 air cleaners?

Thank You Sponsors!