iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard to believe

Started by rambo, March 21, 2013, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo

Today I was scoping out a large English Walnut tree ( 42" diameter) and I had an urban tree cutter tell me the mills near Erie, PA were paying between 8 and 10 per board foot for walnut. :o I find that hard to believe. Can anyone verify that? What is the most a mill has paid you for walnut?

sawguy21

For that kind of money I would ship all I have. If I had any. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Okrafarmer

Maybe he meant between 8 and 10 cents, but that seems a little low. Sounds like another one of those urban walnut myths. They're rampant.

Maybe a veneer buyer pays that much occasionally for a premium of premium veneer walnut log, but I think those days are mostly in the past unless I miss my guess.

I've heard all the stories, of the $17,000 walnut tree, and all that kind of thing. I hear them over and over again. I keep telling people, go back and find that person who said they would give you that much for it. Sell it, take the money, and run. I might pay as high as .80 / bf for a veneer quality log, myself, but I never have seen one since I started sawmilling. I did see what may have qualified as one before that, though, cleared for a house lot on Glassy Mountain.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thenorthman

few months ago got a quote from a mill in Orygone at $1.5 to 2.75 a foot depending quality etc.  Which is still a nice price for a yard tree (tree still lives, and Orygone is a long drive away...)

Could be that someone somewhere saw a walnut board at the lumber yard and assumes that the mills pay that much for the logs?
well that didn't work

Okrafarmer

Around here, in the Woodcrafter's retail store, kd planed black walnut boards go for $8 / bf. I sell A/D or K/D black walnut, rough cut, for around $4.50-5 / bf.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

rambo

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 22, 2013, 08:37:36 AM
Around here, in the Woodcrafter's retail store, kd planed black walnut boards go for $8 / bf. I sell A/D or K/D black walnut, rough cut, for around $4.50-5 / bf.

I agree. I think the person that told my urban tree cutter that did not have their facts correct. I know that kiln dried FAS is going for $4.70 a board foot in my area but I am about 2 hours away from Erie,pa. My tree cutter is going to look into this and when he talks to the mills up there I will update this thread.

Thank You Sponsors!