iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beer cans vs. Creosote

Started by mattNH, January 03, 2012, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Probibly al. cans cut into smaller pieces would self distruct better.I cook potatoes and squash in my outside furnace all the time quick and hot.I should have built a longer shelf so I could do pizza. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Logging logginglogging

yup u just let the amonia sit there.... in the bowle....and it makes creasote flake off... I have done this for years and head good luck with it.
as for the bluebirds, just put a bucket over the chimney.

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 01, 2012, 04:23:25 PM
Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on March 01, 2012, 04:08:35 PM
I have heard of people using copper, but never aluminum cans cans.
In the summer, you can put a bowle of amonia in there and it will flake off any creasote, that you couldent get scraped off.

Do you just leave it sit there?
I wonder if it will keep the blue birds from trying to nest in mine. They end up dead in the firebox every year.

yup, see comment below

Raider Bill

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on March 02, 2012, 09:13:02 AM
yup u just let the amonia sit there.... in the bowle....and it makes creasote flake off... I have done this for years and head good luck with it.
as for the bluebirds, just put a bucket over the chimney.

I wish I could get to the top of my chimney but poor planning on my part sort of put's a stop to that. My roof is 6-12 metal and the pipe 8' above the roof surface. I can't reach the top and I'm not all that comfortable being up there to begin with.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Logging logginglogging

yeah lol 6-12 metal sounds like a fun climb
So you keep your stove indoors I take it?

Raider Bill

Yep it's just a simple wood stove where the pipe goes straight up though the ceiling and roof no bends. It doesn't get used much actually because it is a second house 11 hours away.  I clean it yearly by going up from the bottom with the brush after moving the stove out of the way, it's a pain.  Another piece of poor planning on my part was I didn't put a screen on the cap. 

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Raider
Can see your problem.

If you clean it the next time, maybe a screen plug with large openings (3/4 at least) could be fashioned and poked up from the bottom to the top with the cleaning brush when done cleaning. Then make a new one to shove up there the following year when cleaning. Shove the old one out the top.

Just a thought to get you a screen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

downeast

NO beer cans in these stoves !  :( Where did this Urban Myth originate ?

Hey, we burn trees.  One extra "hot" fire/day does burn any accumulated creosote from the overnight burn. ;D

For the steep pitch ( 9/12 on this ), a 1" climbing line with spaced knots secured on the ridge by a carabiner allows easy access to the ridge. Two flues with screened caps, an on-air HD antenna,  and an internet sat dish sometimes need maintenance such as shoulder season buildup on the cap, snow filling the dish, or high winds moving the antenna. She makes me go up when the roof is icy.  ::)

treejoe

Every day I get home I pull the coals to the front of the stove, open the damper and drink my 1 beer. When I'm done the can goes in the stove. This makes the creasote powdery so it can be sucked up the chimney pipe better.
Now as far a my heat goes, I burn a very hot fire every morning for my wife as i leave for work. I have not had a chimney fire as of yet (knock on wood). When i don't use the cans i get a lot of creasote. It does work!

bandmiller2

Sliding off a roof is not fun,tried it once.I always build a platform out of pressure treated wood to stand on and leave it on the roof.Laying a ladder on the roof helps to. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!