iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A question on forum Etiquette...

Started by TennesseeFarmerJohn, March 23, 2015, 03:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeFarmerJohn

I have been on the site and reading for over a year and have enjoyed learning from the site and with my mill this past year.  My question is this.

If I read a post of local fellow member about selling RR ties, is it bad form to PM him and ask where he is selling.  Is this considered private or rude.

Thanks, John

ely

I would say that answer would be between you and the person you message. They should tell you how they feel about it. Mileage may vary...

WV Sawmiller

TFJ,

I find most folks here to be extremely outgoing and helpful. Go ahead and ask. He can't eat you. Worst he can do is say no and we've all heard that before. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I feel that that's what the PM function is for!

If you want to PM someone, go for it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

you can ask but, if the person is less than friendly here's why. i'll help anyone any time,when it comes to giving specifics like who do you sell to or where do you get something, i won't devulge :)we all develope markets to fit our business model and more times than not finding those markets has come with costs and struggles :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 23, 2015, 07:42:55 AM
you can ask but, if the person is less than friendly here's why. i'll help anyone any time,when it comes to giving specifics like who do you sell to or where do you get something, i won't devulge :)we all develope markets to fit our business model and more times than not finding those markets has come with costs and struggles :)
ROL took this to the level I left off,  in regards to selling ties, I see no problem, other sales that have built our specific markets and customer base is another avenue.  It takes time and effort to build up to have someone slide in and undercut.  ties are ties, not a real niche there, getting the logs is a different story.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

I have markets and even some processes that we have developed that give me a big edge over competition.  Those I won't divulge.  But there are a lot of things I am happy to share.  Markets that are common knowledge.  Helpful hints on sawing. etc.  Marketing ideas.  Sale ideas.
If my market is a place the buys from everyone, I will share.  If it is a market that only I sell to, then that I keep private.
As has been said, politely ask, but be prepared for no and be very thankful if they say yes.  And sometimes, people are happy to give up a customer that they no longer can supply the quantity they need.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

red

Some people have been a little." Edgy" . . . so then you have to make a post to Clear everything Up
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

terrifictimbersllc

Your question may not really be about PM'ing or Forum etiquette.   You say local, and you're also milling, sounds like you could be asking him about sharing business information which you yourself might benefit from.  Or he might worry about that at the beginning.  Probably don't PM him asking about anything that you wouldn't ask him face to face about or on the phone.  Takes some relationship to begin sharing sensitive information, if that's what this will be, maybe it's not.  That being said, being fellow FF members is certainly a good place to start.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

TennesseeFarmerJohn

Thanks for the replies and advice

John

Thank You Sponsors!