iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wood do you use ?

Started by Bruno of NH, July 09, 2016, 09:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

What kind of wood do you use to make your grade and garden stakes ?
I ask because a farmer was surprised I made mine out of ash .
I asked what he liked but got no answer .
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ohio_Bill

I use oak and ash. I would think ash would be the best because of its straight grain.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Bruno of NH

Bill that's what I thought
That's why I used ash and my brother in law is a logger and gets me the ash logs at a good price .
I wonder if poplar wood work ?
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

Hardwood (but I am not sure why softwood would not work except for breaking at the knots).  I use mostly ash because that was what I was cutting when I sawed most of mine but I threw in poplar as I cut it. My tomato stakes were mostly the edgings off my 4/4 lumber. If you look at Lowes you will see they sell their 5' hardwood stakes for $7.95 each around here. The ones I examined were poplar. Looked to have been made out of dimensional, probably KD, lumber. People around here prefer white oak because it will last longer and can be reused for several seasons. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

5quarter

I usually use white oak too, but this year I made some out of mulberry, which is about as rot resistant as the white oak. But really you can make stakes out of any clear,straight grained wood. just depends on how often you want to make stakes.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chop Shop

Ohio_Bill

I do make some tomato stakes out of poplar. These are poplar. My experience with poplar is the logs need to be very good to make stakes from or they will break.

Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

petefrom bearswamp

How many in that bundle Bill?
I'm too lazy to count em.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bkaimwood

The only thing I would use around here that is readily available, and in quantity, is white oak. Poplar and ash have low rot resistance, especially poplar....
bk

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 10, 2016, 09:49:10 AM
How many in that bundle Bill?
I'm too lazy to count em.

Pete, I think 616. I now do 800 per skid but I think that was 616 according to the invoice
Bill

Peter Drouin

W Oak and beach some R oak too.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ohio_Bill

Peter, Very nice operation thanks for sharing the pictures.
Bill

Bruno of NH

rwepinetree

I use red oak soft maple or ash just has to be hardwood . I just took an order for 2000 3 foot grade stakes  . I am setting up to do more I do 3 4 and 5 foot right now

woodmills1

My pointer looks likes peter's but has 1 HP electric not gas.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!