iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

advice needed

Started by 123maxbars, March 22, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I am building two structures. One is a carport and the other is a lean to building. I plan on using timber frame joinery as much as possible with this build. Neither of the buildings will be enclosed on any sides. Looking for advice on what species to use for the post. I had originally planned on Red Oak but my research has pushed me in the other direction. The beams will be sawed on my LT 35 and here is a list of the logs I have right now that I can use for post.
Poplar.ERC,Red Oak,White Oak,Hemlock, Which would be the right species for my post? The post will be covered with a roof on both structures,

Thanks in advance,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Jim_Rogers

White oak for posts would be the most rot resistant, I believe.

But I don't have much experience with Poplar or ERC.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

123maxbars

Thanks Jim, I will go with my white oak an hopefully a sealer ever now and then will insure longevity. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

VictorH

The ERC would be very rot resistant for the posts as well.  Not sure weather they would make good beams strength-wise.  Around here most of the ERC is very knotty which would make cutting the joints more challenging.

Thank You Sponsors!