iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oop's, They tipped a few to many over.

Started by backwoods sawyer, September 01, 2009, 09:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

I went out last week and done a sight evaluation, the are planning on building a horse barn.
When I showed up this morning, there were twice as many trees on the ground as the week before. These are all nice 20"-24" tall straight Doug fir #2 saw logs or better. After putting a small dent in the logs and having milled half the cut list, the question is what to make out of the rest of the logs. The ol boy told me they were tipping over so nicely he did not relies how much wood was on the ground, and the last time he had lumber milled up it was on an old round saw, where you figure on 1/3 lumber, 1/3 tailings, and 1/3 saw dust. He told me we was not figuring on 2/3 lumber and 1/3 tailings, and a small pile of sawdust. No sense letting it go to waist, may as well mill it all up. Then he headed over to the tree line a started tipping some more over.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

logwalker

When I have extra logs I take a jacket cut for slabwood and then a 1" or 2" by whatever and stack the cants to dry. There is still a lot of wane on the corners. Come back later and use them for whatever is needed. They get down to 18% after 2 years and they don't check too badly.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Jeff

1/3 lumber out of a "round" mill?   That's pathetic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chico

Wasn't much of a sawyer that cut it with the circle mill if all is right I'll get within 10% or less that a bandmill
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

thecfarm

Saw out 2x4 or 2x6 and a bunch of one inch boards.He'll build an out building to store junk in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Backwoods sounds like a nice job they will more than likely give you afew more days work Mate  ;D  ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

I dont know about 33% Recovery  :o :) ::) ;) :D Any decent Sawyer worth his weight on a Circ should avv over 55% and i usually sit at about 60 to 65% myself but i only check myself on an avv runn of logs once or twice a year or when i first start on a different machine or log supply ;) Must be alot of wood going in the slab pile or woodchipper somewhere  :o :) ;) :D :D :D :D

Ive seen alot of Bandmillers myself who saw heavy on the slab cuts which would drop em back around a circs recovery rate  ;) thats where your recovery comes from fellas and theres nothing wrong with having alittle Wane or Want thats what Grading rules are for  ;) every 1% counts  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 01, 2009, 09:08:18 PM
When I showed up this morning, there were twice as many trees on the ground as the week before.  Then he headed over to the tree line a started tipping some more over.

Many times I'll leave on Friday evening, knowing what I'll have to do on Monday.  When I get back Monday, He has cut trees all weekend.  There'll be more logs than when I first started.  Must be something about seeing good lumber that makes folks go crazy.... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

As I was milling today more trees were still coming down.

Both of these had five 16' logs in them.

Since were are on hoot owl, we had to out of there by 1:00 so this is half a days milling.

That was not the first time I have heard an old timer say 1/3 lumber 1/3 sawdust and 1/3 edgings when reffering to the old round saws. They seem to use it as just a common way of calculating how many logs they need to get the wood they need for a project. There is no denying that the bands saws will leave a smaller pile of sawdust for the same amount of lumber. The tailing pile will be more dependant on the sawyer then on the type of saw.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customdave

Nice looking lumber backwoods, looks like a nice spot to spend the rest of summer. Keep the sawdust flying & play safe..

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

mike_van

I hate thick slabs - Not only do they waste wood, I gotta lug them off the mill & to the pile.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: mike_van on September 03, 2009, 06:30:29 AM
I hate thick slabs - Not only do they waste wood, I gotta lug them off the mill & to the pile.
That is kinda my thoughts to.

sgschwend

The green truck!

The dozer is moving the logs?  Is the owner doing that for you?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Tickles me when the customer has Doyle Scaled the trees and "knows" how much lumber he is going to get.  After the job is done, they usually just shake their heads in disbelief.  They also can't believe the small pile of slabs..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Rule of thumb in hardwoods is 1/2 in lumber, 1/3 in tailing, and 1/6 in dust.  I run those figures for a year, and they held out.

I can cut International on the circle mill in hardwoods.  That includes the boards being heavy to allow for drying and milling.  Softwoods cut scant get a much better overrun.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

backwoods sawyer

The green truck is just sitting on this job. The landowner is moving the logs with his D-5. He started off dragging the whole trees in, but then he ran over his chokers and they became shorter. So now, he is pushing the logs in, and he could use the practice. By the time I get the logs on the mill they are fully covered in dirt, so I am rotating the logs a few times to let some of the dirt fall off.

Quote from: customdave on September 03, 2009, 12:03:27 AM
Nice looking lumber backwoods, looks like a nice spot to spend the rest of summer. Keep the sawdust flying & play safe..
Dave
I sure hope that I do not spend the rest of the summer on this job, it could be spring before I would get caught up. :o I should have the first barn package finished up tomorrow.
He decided to cut a second barn package out of the rest of the logs and may need to tip a couple more over before it is said and done. ;D

WH_Conley

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!