iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 45 - too much bar oil

Started by corvus, October 15, 2020, 03:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corvus

Hello everyone,
I have problem with my old Husqvarna 45, which puts too much oil on the bar. I believe the problem is getting worse over time - first the issue was just running out of oil sooner than the fuel (I started to not fill full tank on refuel). When I run chainsaw now, I can even see oil flowing down the side from the top of the bar. There is clearly too much oil on the bar. I haven't found any oil leaking (except small leaking around the tank cap from time to time).

As far as I know, the oiler is not adjustable. Other chainsaws we have are using same oil without an issue, so I dont think it is problem of the oil itself. I also tried to replace oil pump from other chainsaw we have (same type), with no difference.

I tried to search this forum, but did not find much information about "too much oil" (users have usually the opposite problem).

I ran out of ideas, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Spike60

Here's my guess:

Most saws from the era had crank driven oil pumps rather than clutch driven. That means they pump oil at idle, while the newer saws only pump oil when the clutch is engaged. The oil running down the side of the bar is an indication that this saw is pumping oil at idle. You wouldn't be seeing that if the bar was in the wood. Two things can make this worse. One is simply having the saw idle longer while you set it down to move wood/clear brush or whatever. The other is that the idle speed is higher than it ought to be. 2600-2700 RPM is plenty for a 45. If your saw is idling in the low 3000's it will really make a mess at idle. That will also contribute to the oil running out well before the fuel does, as a saw consumes hardly any fuel at idle.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

corvus

Spike60: you are right, the oil pump is crank driven. High RPM is good idea to keep in mind, but the oil is running down the side even if the clutch is engaged.

I found video how even slightly bent bar plate can affect oiling the bar https://youtu.be/zHLMPslYuOM?t=43 - while my bar plate is pretty old, this is about leaking oil - or could it also make oil pump giving more oil than it should?

I also found very interesting video about chainsaw pumping too much oil: [url=https://youtu.be/GfXWARxjjDc?t=157]Chainsaw Leaking Bar Oil All Over The Place Repair - YouTube[/url]. The guy in this video talks about crack in the oil tank, which causes oil pump giving more oil - he explains it as the air flowing through the crack in the tank and therefore there is no vacuum, which means the oil pump has easier job to pump the oil. I do not know if I understood it well and I am not quite sure if there is supposed to be vacuum in the oil tank, but I am not an expert. I have not tested it yet since I do not have required tools, but what do you think, could it be the case?

Here is pictures of the oil pump and some pictures of bar after several seconds (20?) of running (there is a lot of oil on the bar and I also found oil drops on the floor).

Thanks

Real1shepherd

Not buying the oil tank crack theory. Jonsereds for one, didn't have vented oil caps on their saws. So to prevent a vacuum forming in the oil tank they had a tiny hole usually near the muffler through the oil tank and a Cotter pin into that hole. That was just enough to keep the tank from getting vacuum locked. As the saws wore, the pin would enlarge the hole and you'd see some oil seepage. So.....you just went with a bigger Cotter pin.

Unless saw design has changed significantly, you don't want a vacuum forming inside the oil tank. Like gas, you need to replace the oil with something as it leaves;air in this case.

Kevin

Spike60

Too many cooks in the kitchen leads to confusion. If the videos you watched were about different saws, then their value in this discussion is very limited and can lead you off in the wrong direction. That oiling system is very simple, and it was used on many Husky, Jonsered and some Partner saws. The basic pump cylinder and pump piston are still in use today in fact on some of the 400 series consumer saws, but all are now clutch driven.

I'm with Kevin on the cracked case idea being unlikely. If you suspect a crack, then you have to clean everything up and look for a crack. You'll have to find that with your eyes; it's not a question we can answer.

The oil on the bar looks completely normal. If that saw runs, it is pumping oil. When the clutch is engaged, the saw is running at higher RPM and is therefore pumping MORE oil. I see the oil, but I don't see any sawdust. If these saws run out of the wood, there's no other place for the oil to go but drip down the bar like that. There's nothing wrong there.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sablatnic

It could be a cracked case - seen a few of them (very few). 
About oil tank ventilation, on this saw it is via a little notch where the cap is screwed on, remember that the construction is a Partner from 1983.
Very pleasant saw to use, prefer it to Stihl ms200 and Husqvarna 242.

JJ

Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 16, 2020, 12:23:57 AMhad a tiny hole usually near the muffler through the oil tank and a Cotter pin into that hole.

Explains my J-red incontinence issue with oil when parked, I use a rubber mat under them.

Spike60

Preferred over a 242? Not many guys would say that @sablatnic, so I hope you'll jump in here and tell us why, but I'll try and guess. :)

I do have a couple 45's, a couple Jonsered 2050's and a couple 242's. Power wise the 242's leave the others behind. Not even close on the 40cc and 45cc versions, but it's not always about power either. Especially when cutting smaller wood. And the 242 chassis gets the edge in handling too IMO. Over everything. LOL

What I think those Partner based saws have over the 242 is that they aren't as high strung as the 242's. Part of that is the 3000rpm difference I guess. But they are relatively quiet and very smooth. That AV was way ahead of it's time back in the 80's and is still competitive today. Just nice easy saws to run. And very reliable; which is nice cause they're not the easiest saw to work on. But if you do need to work on them, practically the whole saw is put together with the same screw. Not 20 different pieces of hardware like most saws.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

I've got a little Craftsman/Poulan that has a set up about like that which was a freebie .The bolts holding the bottom on were #10-32 which had wallered out the holes holding the bottom  on .Under power it would rocket up disengaging the pump drive .I tapped them out to 1/4" -20 and that cured it .For a little dinky saw it really does good but needs seals .I think it's 46 cc . 

sablatnic

Quote from: Spike60 on October 17, 2020, 06:25:45 AM
Preferred over a 242? Not many guys would say that @sablatnic, so I hope you'll jump in here and tell us why, but I'll try and guess. :)

I do have a couple 45's, a couple Jonsered 2050's and a couple 242's. Power wise the 242's leave the others behind. Not even close on the 40cc and 45cc versions, but it's not always about power either. Especially when cutting smaller wood. And the 242 chassis gets the edge in handling too IMO. Over everything. LOL

What I think those Partner based saws have over the 242 is that they aren't as high strung as the 242's. Part of that is the 3000rpm difference I guess. But they are relatively quiet and very smooth. That AV was way ahead of it's time back in the 80's and is still competitive today. Just nice easy saws to run. And very reliable; which is nice cause they're not the easiest saw to work on. But if you do need to work on them, practically the whole saw is put together with the same screw. Not 20 different pieces of hardware like most saws.
You guessed right, low noise and low vibrations. And for my use I don't care if the job lasts a few minutes longer, I am less tired when done. Considered taking the 242 out today, but the plastic Partner won again - maybe tomorrow.
And they are easy to service and repair, when you have had a few of them apart! Oh, and I have quite a few of them more or less dead in the attic. 

Thank You Sponsors!