iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripsaw Mill

Started by toxedo_2000, December 04, 2005, 12:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxedo_2000

Anybody worked with that before ? I would need some advice. I have it for more than 10 years now. Considering to transform it a bit so it will be more productive. I have a bigger mill (Gilbert), but this little one is just 54 pounds, and I can bring it anywhere with my helicopter. I made a lot of material with it in remote places, built camps etc...
Here's a pic

One of the camps I built with it
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

Dan_Shade

those things are a nifty idea.  too bad they don't market a little more and cost so much!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

iain

Dan you talking about the mill or the helicopter
Toxeo does that thing just get you places, or can you do wood related things with it?

iain

toxedo_2000

Quote from: iain on December 04, 2005, 12:55:21 PM
Dan you talking about the mill or the helicopter
Toxeo does that thing just get you places, or can you do wood related things with it?

iain

That "thing" at the left, get me everywhere in remote areas, and sometimes, to work. I am not in the woodworking business. I do it for fun only. But a lot of fun in these places often means lot of work with wood, even if I am not paid for.
Have a look at my w.site and click under  "productions" (QuickTime films"). You'll see where it use to get me
www.tuxedoproductions.com
Regards
Toxedo
Toxedo

MemphisLogger

Very impressive work, Toxedo!  :)

I like your mill, too.  8)

Do you use the helo to haul back remote lumber? 
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

scottr

Tuxedo_2000 , I bought my Ripsaw with 044 powerhead in May of 1996 , so we probably have the same model . What are you thinking about changing to be more productive ?

toxedo_2000

Thank you urbanlogger
No, I don't use it to move the logs, partly because I don't have a sling device. But on my next helicopter (to be deliver in march) I'll install one and we will see.

scottr <<What are you thinking about changing to be more productive  ?>>
Well, I would like to put it on wheel  like my bigger mill. I think a light woodden track with iron angles for the rollers would be OK. I just have to find out how i could attach this little Ripsaw mill to a carriage, and keep the bandsaw and other ajustements accessible.
I thought maybe somebody here had already made that kind of conversion.
I also know Ripsaw makes that kind of track for their newer model, but, it looks a little bit fragile to me. and i would like to do "craft" it myself.
Tox
Toxedo

scottr

Maybe you could use the top square tube to attach the Ripsaw to a carriage . I've thought a roller instead of a guide finger would help . I saw a fixture on another forum where a guy would set the log in a fixture that had a guide beam above the log . If I remember correctly he would pull a pin to index each end of the guide beam for the next cut .                                                                                          Do you make lap siding with your Ripsaw ?

isawlogs

Tox ,
   Welcome to the forum ...

What is it that you would like to do to the Rip saw mill that you have .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

toxedo_2000

Thank you isawlogs I want to modify the way of guiding this mill, and  making it slide on a track, like a Norwood or a mill of the same type. I have already a larger bandsaw mill. I like the little Ripsaw for his portability. As I explained it higher, I could build a track which would allow me easier cuts. I am looking for a way to attach the mill to a framework which would also enable me to elevate or lower it to quickly regulate the thickness of the boards as on a conventional mill.

And scottr
I never made lap siding (willingly) But it is very easy to do with the actual plateau setting
Toxedo
Toxedo

isawlogs

Tox
  I sent you an IM.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!