iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter Firewood

Started by Corley5, January 04, 2021, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Made the first bundles of 2021 today.  167 for Schultz's Party Store.  That's Brad on the Twister 8)    

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

There's one guy on Youtube doing that. Started out with SxS, then went tractor, and making a good dollar at it. But, small operator, hobby, and has a day job as a CPA. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hedgerow

You guys sure have nice straight logs to work with. Good to see the bobcat chained up. The snow and ice hasn't hung around here enough to put the chains on my bobcat yet. 

Corley5

Log truck was here dark and early this AM with a 10 cord load of EAB killed ash and scale killed beech.  He had it sorted on the truck.  There's about 4 of the ash and six of the beech.  Not doing much wood now.  That's a good thing. The Thirsty Sturgeon  has started a fire pit for customers to hang out around outside since indoor dining/drinking is still prohibited here.  They're buying a five face cord load a week 8) 8)  

GRANITEstateMP

Corley,

That is a great name for a bar and grill! ?menu looks pretty good too! Think it'd still be warm if they deliver to NH?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Nathan4104

Sounds like a small bit of positive news from all this pandemic crap.... people are having more campfires!  They are around here for sure!  
I like your processor shed, great for this time of year I bet

SwampDonkey

West of the Saulte is cottage country ain't it @Nathan4104? I remember driving through there in April, both ways, no gas and everyone gone for winter. ;D Not a whole lot between Sudbury and the Saulte. :D

Stompin' Tom Connors - Sudbury Saturday Night (Live 2005) - YouTube

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nathan4104

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 07, 2021, 06:29:32 PM
West of the Saulte is cottage country ain't it @Nathan4104? I remember driving through there in April, both ways, no gas and everyone gone for winter. ;D Not a whole lot between Sudbury and the Saulte. :D

Stompin' Tom Connors - Sudbury Saturday Night (Live 2005) - YouTube
Well, I'm a long ways from that Sault! I'm there (and Sudbury) enough for work but it's a whole other NB then some to where we are, and still in Onterrible! 
If you thought that stretch was bad, take the north highway next time (hwy11) there is n-o-t-h-I-n-g but black spruce and tamarack for almost 200km between Hearst and Long-Lac, and not much else from there to Nipigon, another couple hundred :)  must be the longest stretch in Canada without a Tim Hortons. 
And not a stick of hardwood but some moose maples and alders in the ditch for the moose to nibble on! 

Corley5

Ran a five face cord load yesterday.  Started a bit late in the morning because it was cold and Saturday ;) ;D.  Didn't even get a good start and the Bobcat's fan belt broke.  Off to Car Quest for a new one.  They matched one up to the old one which was broken clean and 39" long.  Came home with a 38.5" one too.  Just in case.  Nothing's ever simple especially with a Bobcat.  The whole procedure took much longer than it should have but it's back up and running and I did get the load of wood done.  But I didn't get to the sugar bush as was the plan.  Headed there in a bit.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

The 39 ;D :D  If I would have came home with only one it would have been wrong :)

Tacotodd

I know how that goes! That's why in my years of parts sales I recommend to people "you better take these as well, you can always return to me for full refund whatever you don't need"!

More often than not, it earned me a customer for life, and they tended to follow me around because I gave them great service. It made them feel special because no-one else treated them well! 

After all, aren't we all in some sort of service related business if you really think hard about it?
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Its a good thing a skid steer is so handy when one considers the grief.  Everytime i resent mine enough to say 'im gonna sell it next time its fixed' ... I fix it and forgive it because i need it so badly.  
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

We always ran local made skid steers (Thomas), but can't buy much local these days. Don't remember belts going. One guy put diesel in the gas engine, that don't help. :D Local food plant bought the plant, later sold off the patents to South Korea. They can't make money unless they can steal potatoes. :D

Corley5

There's no room to work on them.  There's a lot packed into a little :)  It didn't help that the tensioner/idler isn't right.  I vaguely remember having an issue with it once and making it work...  The new belt was too short to use the idler and it's pulley was way out of alignment with the other pulleys but the belt was short enough that with encouragement and a bump of the starter it went on and is tight without the tensioner but not too tight.  It'll stretch some but not enough to throw.  I don't think anyway.  The only way to get it off now is to cut it.  I'll keep an eye on it and probably should get a new tensioner.

mike_belben

At a certain point, usually by forced obsolescence, a machine just becomes your own one of a kind pile of parts and you make it work however you decide.  

If a machine has a part with a special fitting that pidgeonholes you into using the manufacturers thousand dollar part, i will often saw that chunk off and weld a standard chunk on so it can use the shelf $200 part.   very common practice to sell new machines IMO.  Like changing the battery case on power tools with the same cell structure and voltage for instance.  
Praise The Lord

cutterboy

Quote from: mike_belben on January 11, 2021, 01:50:21 PM
At a certain point, usually by forced obsolescence, a machine just becomes your own one of a kind pile of parts and you make it work however you decide.  

That's the way my wife feels about me. ::) :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Letmero

Hello guys! What are your favorite type of wood for fireplace? What do you usually use? Also I'm looking for some good fireplace doors, on what should I pay attention here?

gasman1075

JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

SwampDonkey

@Letmero Hardwood of any kind, maple, oak, hickory, beech, ash. They don't throw sparks. Don't put cedar, fir and aspen in there or snap crackle and pop. Ok, so ya got a screen or door, if it works. :D

cutterboy

Letmero, For a fire of short duration red maple and white birch will burn fast but won't last long. If you want the fire to last a long time oak, hickory, ash, hard maple and black birch will burn longer. But really, any wood you have or can get ahold of will make a nice fire for you to enjoy.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

I split red maple a little fatter so its not as dry, and lasts longer.  tend to use it once the room is up to temp and just needs to be maintained all day.   Its a fairly good firewood imo. Kinda half way between pine and oak. 

I dont care how much wood is burned since its free, but i dont like fussing with the stove every 30 mins.  Loading up some fat green pieces on a bed of coals is almost like a pilot light throughout the day.  Most winter days come up to atleast 20F in TN if not warmer..so the stove is just taking off the overnight chill a lot of the time.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

dryer wood is always better.  fatter also only burns the surface wood initially so it lasts longer.  the less dense wood still has good heat, but all at once.  so soft maple is great to get up to temp in the stove, and then add the denser wood.  at bed time I have a 2 stage process.  we let the fire go down in the afternoon if not too cold.  I fill the stove and leave the air open to get a hot fire going.  then top it off and  after 5 minutes to get the new wood up to temp, I choke it down.  the better coal producing (denser)  wood will have big chunks of red hot coals in the am.  open the air, add some thinner chunks of wood, and we are off to the races in the am when it is cold.  crotch wood tends to be denser.  wood all has the same BTUs per gram or pound of dry wood.  Water in wood consumes energy from the fire for evaporation, and not heat the stove or room.  up the chimney she goes.  when the steam releases the energy and condenses, it will be outside in the cold.  heating the world!  :)  .  there are great charts looking at BTUs per cord, and ability to make coals.  i.e. the quality or characteristics of differing woods.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Corley5

White ash makes a nice flame in a fireplace.

doc henderson

our glass is often smoked over.  it is satisfying to scoop the ash, clean the glass and get a fire going in the evening.  have a beer and watch a movie and the fire.  life's simple pleasures.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!