iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apple Tree question

Started by Typhoon, November 07, 2003, 03:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok this is a stupid question but hey,,, thats what the board is here for right!!!?? Ok here is the deal... im almost constantly planting trees on my farm, and now I have an idea. I love Apples. Specifically, three types... Winesap, Jonathan, and Granny Smith in that order. Well, if I planted say 10 apple trees in one area, how long would it be until I would be seeing some apples? (Assuming I planted them as saplings). And, here is the stupid part of the question: Are there actually "Winesap" apple trees, and "Jonathan" apple trees,  can I actually find and plant a tree that will yield these types of apples? Hopefully somebody who has some experience with apple trees will see this and not think im silly. Thanks!!  ;D
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Tom

Typhoon,
I don't know a thing about apples.  But, I do know that a man who plants fruit on his property is putting down roots and planning to stay.  

One of the first things I ask myself when I plant a bush or tree in the yard is "can I eat it"?  Flowers are pretty but I'd rather stand in the front yard and munch a pear or a handful of blue berries than look at a row of  Chrysanthemums. :D

Ed_K

A few years back I planted a dozen apple trees, # 9 root stock, and three or four varieties. Get good fences, cause the deer ate them all  :'(.
Ed
Ed K

Typhoon

Oh believe me, I am staying!! It is a beautiful 50 acres, one giant 50 acre hill... with hills among it. 30 acres of timber, a .8 acre pond and this coming spring, will have a 3.1 acre pond too! I will post some pictures of the place soon. We (my wife and I) are building a log home on it next fall and we are going to stay there forever. That is why im planting tons of trees. I have 1,400 pine trees coming from the state in the spring. That will be fun! I just got done planting 40 pin oaks (my favorite tree), 40 sweetgums, and 40 bur oaks. I had them lightly log the woods (100 trees) so I still have some big timber, and a TON of medium size stuff coming up as well. Mainly maple, red oak, white oak, some bur oak, hickory, walnut, some sassafras, gum and ash.
Gotta love livin in the country!!! Put me in the city and I would die in 3 days.

;D ;D
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Kevin

Beaver like them too, it's like candy cane .  ;D

Tom

Well, if yer gonna stay......

Pears (a couple of eating ones and a cooking pear), persimmons (gotta have 2 or 3 of those japanese ones), peach, plum, apricot, and cherry trees, nectarines, grapes (muscadines too) and plums(there's a bunch of varieties).

That'll keep you busy for a day or two. :D :D

I still don't know anything about apples.....'cept Anna's grow in Florida. ;D

rebocardo

From what I have seen from the apple trees around my property in ME is that once apple trees get to be about four feet high, they start getting apples. They look like bushes with very big berries.

Bro. Noble

Typhoon,

Yes those are kinds of apples that you can grow.  I would suggest dwarf trees because they will be easier to prune and harvest.  They will be grafted,  you can even get them with three or four varities grafted onto the same tree.  I think the dwarf trees are also supposed to bear a little earlier than others and you can grow more fruit in a given area with them.

You didn't mention cedar trees in your tree list.  That's good because cedar is a co-host to cedar apple rust that is a bad problem if you want to grow apples.  It's best if there are no cedars within a quarter mile of your apples.  You might want to consider McIntosh and Rome apples too as they are a lot like the ones you mentioned.

Ever hear of the 'Apple Knockers'  in S.  Ellynoise?  They could grow apples and back in the 60's could really play basketball 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

dutchman

When you pick the type of apple make sure you pick trees that will cross pollinate, or self pollinate, or you may never get fruit.In nothern  Pennsylvania from 3 ft starters to first fruit is 5-6 yrs.Heavy concrete wire to  keep the deer out.Plastic wrap to keep bunnies from stripping the bark in winter.Fertilizer ever spring.Prune every year,spray for bugs and fungis.
Good luck.

Norm

We planted semi-dwarf trees from Miller nursuries in 1988, in about four years they started getting a few apples and increased in volume every year after that. These were crossed varieties. The best one hands down was called yellow-gold. Good for eating and baking.  http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=156

Some of the antique apples take longer to yield but give some nice variety. We planted wolf river, gravenstein, and some asian pears, we have a nice mix of apple trees now that feed us the neighbors and animals. They are some work with spraying and pruning but no worse than anything else we grow.

Brian_Bailey

Hey Norm_F.,  

I was surprized to see your link (from someone that's in Iowa ) to a nursery that's only about an hour ride from me here in WNY :D.  Millers is an excellent nursery, I have bought many items from them over the years.

Millers is located on the northern end of Canandaigua Lake, which is one of a group of lakes known as the Finger Lakes here in NY.

Thought you might like to see some pictures of the lake  :).  These were taken in 97. We ride our M/Cs around there a lot because of the beautiful scenery and winding roads.

This first picture was taken at the north end of the lake not to far from Millers.

The next 2 pics. where taken at the southern end of the lake near Naples. This is the area that we like to ride our bikes in.

My wife got tired of me pulling over an snapping pics, that is her on her bike.

Hope you enjoyed seeing the area your trees came from :).  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Norm

Hey thanks Brian, I sure did. I had an old fishing buddy that was from that area and would sure like to vacation out there.

There's another nursery out here called Stark Bros, we use them on occassion but Millers won me over when I ordered some asparagus from them, they were huge. Same with the strawberries I got. If a tree dies within one year that you ordered from them they will replace it no questions asked.  I figured if they could grow em they would grow well here.

Bro. Noble

Brian,

My brother used to work in Ithica and would go fishing right in town on his way to work of a morning.  I think that is right at the tip of the finger :D

Norm,

I was thinking that Starks was in Louisiana--------Louisiana,  Mo. that is ;)  Maybe that's some other nursery or just a branch?  I keep forgetting that I don't remember very well :-/

Norm

Yep that's the one Noble, I guess when I said out here I mean't the midwest. Are they near you?

Bro. Noble

Norm,

I used to go right by there when I took the scenic route to ellynoise to visit my in-laws.  I figger it's about as close to you as it is to us :)

Brian_Bailey

I've bought from Stark Bros., in fact a local garden shop/nursery near me carries Stark Bros. trees & shrubs.

Norm,  glad you liked the pics.  

One of my many quirks is to be able to associate a locale with something that I have bought or made. When I buy logs from a logger, I try to find out the where-abouts the logs came from. I can then tell a customer, oh, that lumber came from logs I got from over yonder. Some folks seem quite impressed with that little bit of knowledge and others, well, they don't seem to care oneway or another  :D.

Bro. Noble,  

My granddad, when he was alive, ran his own circle mill not to far from Ithaca. About halfway between Ithaca and Binghamton.  I don't remember too much about the operation other than it was a one man show and he did mostly custom sawing with the customer being the tail sawyer. The mill was setup in a shed right next to the road so the log truck didn't have to go off the road to unload. When granddad passed on, the mill found a new home in short order. This was about 10 yrs. before portable bandmills made the scene.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

woodmills1

Brian, my grandfathers knickname was Squire. Given to him when the orchard he worked for bought their first car.  Seems he had to start driving and fixing the Locomobile much the same as he did with the wagons.  He taught me to clean out the threads of a blind hole and keep the battery acid off the humans.  He also told everyone that the tip of his finger that was missing, was bitten off by me.

Don't forget about bees ifin ya goes for apples or. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brian_Bailey

woodmills,
I sure like'n the bees in my apple juice just before it turns to hard cider  :D!

Apple sodie pop with a kick

woodmills1

One apple tree close to the old house used to go to cider.  Even the squirells and deer would get tipsy.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

What I mean is if you plant fruit of any amount you cannot count on local bees.  Either have hives of your own or find a beekeeper.

Brian_Bailey

I figured that's what ya meant  ;). But when I think of apples n bees, I think of this  :D :D

woodmills1

triple jacks

youkon jack
jack daniels
apple jack

equal parts   over ice then drained
enjoy untill :D

Slofr8

One old guy I worked with years ago showed me an apple tree that he had grafted branches from differant apple trees to. He said that tree grew three differant kinds of apples.  It was early summer and no apples yet but I could see where he had done the grafting. I still dont know if he was pulling my leg or not.

Minnesota_boy

He wasn't pulling your leg a bit.  I've had a tree that blossomed white on one side and pink on the other because of the grafted stock.  Graft couldn't take -58 F and not I only have the white side left.  :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!