iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Modem failure

Started by Magicman, October 05, 2010, 11:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

In the midst of a session yesterday, it just died.  The wireless alerts said "lost wireless connection".  No problem, just go to the hardwired laptop and see if it works.  No go, it doesn't work either.  The neighbor still has high speed internet, so it's me.  Gotta be the modem.  Rebooted and all of that stuff.  Checked everything this AM.  Still no go.

Tried the obvious.  Unplug everything.    ;)

Simple things still work.   :) :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

So-o-o-o....

How did you get it to work with everything unplugged.  I need to try that.  It might cut down on my electric bill  :P :D

ronwood

I suspect there is a connection that is iffy. If I move my Ethernet cable on the back of my dsl modem just right I lose connectivity.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Warbird

Do you have a cable modem or are you on DSL?  What is the physical path from the ISP wire?  That is, does it come in from the wall, go to the 'modem', then go to a wireless router, then go to each of your computers?

You said you unplugged everything.  Did you power cycle the modem and your router?  Did any lights come on when you plugged each back in?

Magicman

DSL.  The Netopia modem is also the wireless router.  Ethernet cable goes to Magicwoman's laptop.  Mine is wireless.   I also have a wireless D-Link for the printer.

I was using my laptop and the "lost connection" flag on "Network Magic" showed up.  No power blink or anything.  Finally, disconnecting (and reconnecting, Tom  ;) )the power from the Netopia solved the problem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Ah, I see.  I misunderstood your post.  Glad it is working.  :)  And yeah, simple can be oh so good.

Magicman

Anything that will fix itself, will fail again.  It failed again this afternoon.  I turned the modem off and then back on and it restored.  I'm supposed to have a new modem on the way.  The time is coming that it will not restore.

Ianab

Yup, they are a little computer in those routers. When they get sick they are prone to locking up at random, just like a faulty PC. A power reset restarts them, and they go for a while again, then lock up. If it happens once a month you can put it down to power glitches or random happenings and live with it.

When you need to do it every day, it's on it's way out. Whatever is wrong electronically is usually going to get worse over time, until it wont run long enough to get through it's boot-up process.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Warbird

Alternatively, it could simply be overheating.  That happened to one of mine a long time ago.  Blow the dust out of it and make sure it has adequate ventilation.