iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2019, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Nice! I like a mantel from 3-4 inches thick. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Today's second happy customer is a repeat customer. I cut a timber frame shed for him.
He had a large maple tree cut down behind the shed, as it dropped a branch on the shed and made him mad.
The log was 8' long and around 32" at the butt.
I trimmed off two opposite sides down to 23" or so because he wanted some "wide as possible" 5/4, 6/4 and 8/4.

Here is me working on it before we hit the nails:

Almost made it to the center when we hit one small nail.
Found a bunch more and removed them.
Flipped it over and found one more with the second blade.

Here is the load on his truck:

Some of those were clear.
Got 255 bdft out of that log.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I sawed up the biggest log in my pile for several customers.
One showed up to pick up his wide bar tops:

And he even got a red flag.

2x26x8' and one piece 10'.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Andries

It'll take a nice straight log to get a 26" slab through a standard WoodMizer.
Nice work Jim.
Our happy customers have stopped wearing shorts up here, @goose63 and I had a snowstorm yesterday. From now on, nothing but Toques and Parkas until April !
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

goose63

We had one to and this aftrenoon into thurseday 6 more inch on the way :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doc henderson

well they have no fireplace but like wood and rustic, and want a mantle in a couple rooms.  this is Lindsey and her daughter, and husband.  she is a trauma nurse I worked with in Wichita, and went to FEMA with her in the group.

My daughter in the background on the trampoline.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Darrel

A mantle without a fireplace?  Hmmmmm, isn't that a shelf?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

doc henderson

It is a "wife is always right"  kinda thing.  Pinterest etsy who knows.  they may get a picture frame tv, and can watch a fire at the holiday time.  certainly rustic.  yes dear.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

My "customer" is my niece and her husband.  I help them frame up this "shed" (8x12) where the was a rotted 8x8 one.  I cut, planed and T&G the cedar for the back wall, ceiling and front wall.  I was down there dropping my son off at a Scout camp last weekend and asked to stay over.  We finished out front wall (around the window and door) and all the trim (windows, corners, ceiling & baseboard) on Saturday afternoon.  Sunday morning I took these pictures.
<br
>

Sunday morning I decided the space to the right of the door (drywall) had to go.  So we ripped that out and, using my brad nailer, added T&G there with some corner moulding.  Still need to make up trim boards for the door.  My nephew had a bad bicycle accident (compression fracture of L1 along with lots of road rash) and hasn't been able to work on this much in the last couple of months.  Turns out Saturday was his birthday so I "gave" him this present of completion.  This is his home office during C19.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

got this done for my wife.  she bought the fabric pic in Branson.  came home with it and the wrong size old window to mount it.  had to make a foe 6 light window frame.  

light behind it was to help me strech it so no plain fabric was showing.

here is a nurse and her husband and daughter.  they brought a pine log to mill, to make a rustic live edge table for there sons fiancé, getting married next year.  the daughter just turned 16 so she got a custom charcuterie board, and a wand sign from harry potter.  and endless Dad/Pediatrician jokes and ribbing from me.  good family.

and Libby liked them too.  they took the whole log so the future daughter in law could pick the piece.  Her brother is a woodworker and will add metal legs.

DennisK

Why is the daughter in IOWA colors? 8)

doc henderson

they are KU fans, but I think that was her tennis hoodie.

caveman

I was a little reluctant to post this but last night around 9:30 I got a text and pictures from a customer/friend who picked up some wood from us Sunday afternoon.

We sawed this Thanksgiving morning, put it in the kiln and ran it until Sunday.  Fortunately we had good weather for drying.  We pulled the wood out of the kiln on Sunday and it was below 10% MC.  His wife loved the blue stain and evidently the wane as seen on some of the boards.  We cut extra and they had plenty to do the job with some left over for extra projects.  The wanescoating was sawn to 5/8" thick and random widths.  We sawed mostly clear wood but also cut up a short, knotty log when he told us the more rustic the better.

Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

caveman

I would do jobs like this all day every day if they were available.  We were done before the turkey was.
Caveman

doc henderson

well Lyndsey the trauma nurse from the city, sent these from the wood they got.  she had a baby in the meanwhile.  she and her husband are happy with a turnbuckle style brace as they did not want to disturb the live edge underside of the mantle shelf.

ERC that could have been firewood.

terrifictimbersllc

She paint those turnbuckles, and what keeps it from tipping one way or the other? Looks like a delicate balance but it must not be. (?)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

I had recommended/described to them, pins in the wall for a floating shelf, so I think that is the case.  I may have oriented the flat edge towards the wall.  I will ask, but she is happy .

doc henderson

did this for my wife.  we are fixing up the basement, and this is to be the woman cave to do quilting and stained glass.  I am doing things different than I might normally.  we installed vinyl flooring since this is in the basement.  I bought a butcherblock counter that is finger jointed blocks of "hardwood"  but it comes ready to stain, and I have plenty of other projects going.  We went to just look, and this fit with a 1/2 inch to spare.  we can quickly get some finish on it and she is good to go.  would have taken me weeks to make one.

We were going to do ceramic with a wood look.  we have heat in the floor so that would be better.  but we can install this ourselves one room at a time.  If we have a water issue, should do ok.  to do ceramic, we had a lot of the 1 foot square tiles to take up first.  this is fast, can move stuff around, and less mess.  touched up the trim and reinstalled it.  the cabinets came with the house, good quality, and we move them around as needed over the past 20 years.  I will trim the top with an ash "back splash".  around the window trim and ends.

doc henderson

Lindsey says they put L brackets into the stud and on top of the shelf.  Her hubby is not a woodworker.  but they are happy.  I would have done a 1/4 inch lag with the head cut off, and slid it on.  I like the warehouse/steam punk vibe of the buckles.

donbj

I like the look of the turnbuckles, nice!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

dougtrr2

I think the customer put the flat edge out to showcase the contrasting sap wood. It is a simple nice looking shelf.

Maybe you could put it back on your mill to edge it and give a more secure wall mounting. ;D

Doug in SW IA

doc henderson

I get what you are saying.  well she is a woman and lives an hour away.  It is easier to say what ever she wants, when it is not my wife.!   :D  beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

doc henderson

my buddy Dallas needed more room to hang and display all the sheds he has found.  He spreads manure and also hunts and traps.  We were going to do a 3 foot rail, then he decided he wanted more room to display stuff.  He is trading me the bobcat so I can get it mounted.

and here is a resident Dr. Carson who has taken up blacksmithing, and needed a stump.   cut with a flare for stability.  referred to me by the director of Pediatric Intensive Care at the Wesley Children's Hospital Dr. Smith (and a friend of over 30 years).

and yes, the flags were included in the shot.

Thank You Sponsors!