iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What it worth?

Started by logman81, April 08, 2011, 02:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Saw a skidder for sale and was wondering what it might be worth and maybe learn a little about it. It is a 1969 Timberjack 205c it has a ford diesel and Hercules winch and chains on all fours. Pins are tight from what the owner says and everything works as it should according to him. Is this a good machine and what is it worth?   
Precision Firewood & Logging

isawlogs

They're a good little machine, they have full lock front and back, and are slow as melasses to back up. They are light so one can haule them with a dually pick-up and a good trailer. As far as price goes, it is worth all of what ever the seller is asking and what it is you would want to put out. What's he asking for it  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

logman81

Sounds like what I'm looking for. When you say full lock you mean both diffs are locked? How much does one weigh? He's asking 10,000 for it.

PAFaller

Yes, front and rear differentials are fully locked so the machine sort of pushes itself around corners, they dont steer near as tight as a similarly sized john deere. that being said they are also a lot more stable than the older 440s, which it is comparable too. As for weight it really depends on what it has on it for rubber and if the current owner has fluid in the tires. chains on all 4 can add up significantly too, but I know guys move 225 timberjacks on a gooseneck behind a pickup pretty regularly.
As for the price, that could be a decent deal if it has good rubber and chains, as those can be pretty expensive to replace. I run chains on my front tires year round, but my machine requires a lowbed to move. If you do a lot of hopping around small lots on the road chains are obviously not an option, which is why I would make sure the tires are in decent shape. You may also want to investigate parts availability in your area. Ford diesels are common in some places, uncommon in others. Also, I don't know much about that particular winch, but other members may be able to help you out there. Your best bet is to try it out on a job. Anything can be made to look good sitting at a shop, its in the woods that matters.
It ain't easy...

logman81

Thanks for your help unfortunately he has decided not to sell it. I'll just have to keep using my tractor and keep my eyes open and saving $$ for one. :)

Thank You Sponsors!